When did your chickens begin laying eggs?

I have 12 week old ISA Browns. Their combs have started turning more red over the past few days. Does this mean they're going to start laying soon, or is it still a month or 2? I've heard if they start laying too early it can be bad for their long term health. I've given them fermented feed right from the start.
Sex-links type of chicken, usually start around 16/19 weeks. Combs are red and swollen. About 1 to 2 weeks before they lay, they will squat when you put your hand over their back. GC

I've had chicks before. We have four laying hens. I told myself I would be patient this time around. I lied to myself.
I have a leghorn we got the first week of March. I'm not sure how old (they were straight run and out of ten this is the only one that's made it. We had some bad luck!), but I'm guessing she was close to a week old. She has been squatting for about two weeks, her comb is bright red. I can *almost* fit two full (fat) fingers between her pelvic bones. Still nothing. :barnie
I also have four Wyandottes that I ordered. They are all suppose to be pullets. I ordered ten and got them May 1stish. I lost four within 24 hours in the brooder :he and one managed to escape to the dog run. So I will have to go through all of this again in a couple of months with them.

I have been told two things. #1-They won't lay eggs until you start them on layer feed. Right now, mine are still eating "Start & Grow" feed. I thought I'd let them finish the bag before I switch them over to layer feed. The Buffs and RIRs are about 19 weeks. The Barred Rocks turned 16 weeks old on Monday. #2-I have been told that you can't eat the eggs, if the hens are on medicated feed. I've gotten mixed opinions on both comments. Anybody know for sure whether or not chickens will lay before being given layer feed and if the medicated feed produces inedible eggs?

Following this feed closely as I try to figure out when to open the nest boxes. I have 12 week old chickens: 2 Black Australorps, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte and one ornery Wyandotte cockerel.

I dont remember the first egg my CHICKEN Laid since well... I've had them all my life BUT i'm very knew to ducks and DO remember my first duck egg. I believe it was my only female Khaki campbell that laid an egg at the age of 18 weeks.... Found the egg next to their pond and took it right in and ate it ;) to this day i only eat fried Duck eggs!

I have been told two things. #1-They won't lay eggs until you start them on layer feed. Right now, mine are still eating "Start & Grow" feed. I thought I'd let them finish the bag before I switch them over to layer feed. The Buffs and RIRs are about 19 weeks. The Barred Rocks turned 16 weeks old on Monday. #2-I have been told that you can't eat the eggs, if the hens are on medicated feed. I've gotten mixed opinions on both comments. Anybody know for sure whether or not chickens will lay before being given layer feed and if the medicated feed produces inedible eggs?
I was told by several people on this site not to give them layers until they start laying. I was told the rule of thumb was, starter to get them started and layers when they start laying.

Following this feed closely as I try to figure out when to open the nest boxes. I have 12 week old chickens: 2 Black Australorps, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte and one ornery Wyandotte cockerel.
I've been told you want to open the nest boxes around 3 months so they get used to them and just be sure they're not sleeping in them. But if they're roosting now chances are they will keep roosting at night. Golf balls or some sort of fake eggs can make them want to lay in there when they're ready. (This is what I was told by someone when I bought baby chicks. But I have adult hens that came with my coop, so this advice didn't really apply to me. The guy at the store was just trying to be helpful).;)

My red sex-link started laying at 15 weeks old. However, none of my other chickens are laying yet and we're reaching week 18.. but we're hopeful they'll start laying soon, since they are squatting :yesss:

Last edited:
Uno (Leghorn) finally laid her first egg today! :ya:wee:woot:clap
She is about 4.5 months. She was an older chick when we got her so I don't know for sure.
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1633.JPG

Back
Top Bottom