When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

I don't know, yet, the only one of this breed I've ever had is only 3 days old right now.
wink.png

We are playing the waiting game as well, our Buffs are 13 weeks old. My understanding is that they start to lay anywhere from 4-6 months old. I'll tell you one thing- it kills us to buy eggs at the store...can't wait for that first beautiful egg!

i am on the waiting list!!!
fl.gif
three hens anytime start laying thet are about 22 weeks old. thought i heard one of them and look but none yet. guess i am dreaming.
pop.gif

My Mattie started laying 15 days ago & is laying an egg a day, my other 3 girls have started since then & I am now getting 3 to 4 eggs a day. They will be 21 weeks old next Monday so they started at 18 1/2 weeks. And the eggs are just perfect.

My buff orpingtons didn't start laying until they were 8 months old, about 40 weeks. The wait was murder!
barnie.gif
However, a friend who got chicks from the same batch that I got my chicks from had hens start laying at 5 months. She lives an area that is much warmer and lower altitude than I live and was able to put her chicks outside a lot early than I could.

We have 10 buffs. One started laying at 18 weeks and two others at 19 weeks. The first one was a week ago Sunday and the other two this Sunday. The eggs are still pretty small. They have been laying almost two weeks now and we have gotten 16 eggs. When will the eggs start to get bigger?

I don't THINK mine have started laying yet, but they are about 23 weeks old. They are starting to check out the nesting boxes and watch the other hens lay eggs. They have been squatting the last week or two. I'm getting really anxious!! :D Here's my three girls.

She's checking out the nesting boxes along with a Golden Comet.

Same one

And again

Aaaand again.

Now the other two joined in! :D

Back
Top Bottom