When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

I think I spoke too soon! I saw two eggs that I've never seen before today! One was really small! I think it's them! Woohoo!

thumbsup.gif

I'm starting to watch my 2 Buff Orps. They are 18weeks. I'm back to work now driving school bus so I can't watch their behavior very close anymore plus I'm not supplying supplemental light, but I'm still looking for eggs. You never know.

One is still pink, she's little compared to the other. I think shes lowest in pecking order. The other orp is slightly redder but not bright red. All 4 of my peeps seem healthy. Normal poo, they eat well. They look well. Eyes and nostrils clear. I keep the coop clean but I'm not OCD about it. I'm thinking I may not get eggs till spring. My other hen, a RIR, also shows no signs. Comb not red. Thats ok, I will continue to enjoy them. Hubby says "they need to pay the rent"

Im guessing you don't have a rooster. There was a debate in a thread I read awhile back about whether or not hens laid faster with a roo around. I think it makes sense since the roosters will mature faster and make the hens think they need to produce sooner. But that's just my opinion. Hey I will start another thread about it!!

Last edited:
I have three BO's and one started laying at 21 weeks (that was a week ago). I'm still waiting for the other two girls. Their wattles are still pink though.

Back
Top Bottom