When do chickens molt?

Anyone think that being broody might be an advantage for getting through the molt faster since she's not spending her protein on eggs right now?

I don't think it will be faster. Broodies lose a lot of weight while sitting/caring for chicks. They will still have to get their weight back up to a safe level before they can lay eggs again.

Does anyone have ducks as well? I house mine together and I worry about giving too high a protein diet to my ducks. I would have nothing against raising it for my chickens, but I dont want the ducks to get angel wing. Just wondering if anyone else has both and what kind of suggestions you have.

I'm not well versed in angel wing, but it seems the popular belief is that a diet too high in protein can cause it. However, it seems that it could (also) be a genetic thing; I gleaned this theory from a few of the cases I've read about. Do you know if angel wing only occurs in young ducks or does it happen to adults as well?

Anyways, I'm certainly no expert, but I believe ducks can handle a higher protein diet if they are also free ranging and eating grass, etc. I give my ducks a 20% protein feed, and they get little bits of grass and weeds throughout the day as they are ranging. So far, it seems to be fine. They are 6-7 months old and my first ducks ever, so I don't have much experience, but it seems alright.

I know of other (more experienced) duck people here on the forum that feed "all flock" type feeds which usually have 18% to 20% protein. I'm sure you can do a quick search on protein in ducks' diets and find out more. Good luck!

Mine have defiantly started to molt...my silkie Bantom is really going through a hard molt
1f61e.png
poor Hatty
1f62b.png
I hate when they molt!!

Every 62-72 weeks each year is the average big molt, but they do molt a few times in between

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom