When do chickens molt?

There are no drafts, it is insulated and the ventilation is at the top. she seems ok. She goes out with the other girls into the run everyday. my run is enclosed on 3 sides, the west, north, and east, it is open to the south. It is enclosed with greenhouse panels and they block the wind from coming in. She seems fine out there. puffs up what feathers she has when she isn't scratching for food with the others. here is my enclosed run. The feathers on her neck are the most missing so far...

There are many members in harsh winter environments, like Alaska and Canada that don't heat their coops.  It can be worse for the chickens if you provide heat and the power goes out, as they are not acclimated to the cold.  Chickens are very well suited to deal with cold, provided there are no drafts in the coop.

No way is wrong in my opinion. But in this case we're talking about a recovering bird in the midst of a molt. That is why I suggest considering heat. Sometimes chickens are not always happy to snuggle with another especially if they feel they're weaker in any way.

There are no drafts, it is insulated and the ventilation is at the top. she seems ok. She goes out with the other girls into the run everyday. my run is enclosed on 3 sides, the west, north, and east, it is open to the south. It is enclosed with greenhouse panels and they block the wind from coming in. She seems fine out there. puffs up what feathers she has when she isn't scratching for food with the others. here is my enclosed run. The feathers on her neck are the most missing so far...

It looks like a good set up. If all she is missing is neck feathers right now, there isn't any need to worry. I'm not in as severe of a climate as you, but we do get pretty cold here. I've never lost a bird to the cold while molting and I've had some molt in the worst part of winter.

I had 2 barebacked hens last winter ...and it was brutal winter...
....they got thru it just fine with no heat, one of them was of the few who regularly came out onto the snow in the run.

Also have a 9 mo Welsummer molting, and not laying, right now.

Last edited:
They generally molt in the late fall or winter. I have two hens that are sisters and hatched the same day (Jan. 15, 2014)... one molted in October and the second one just finished molting this week. My first to molt was in early September.

Thank you!!!
They generally molt in the late fall or winter.  I have two hens that are sisters and hatched the same day (Jan. 15, 2014)... one molted in October and the second one just finished molting this week.  My first to molt was in early September. 

Back
Top Bottom