when do chicks get adult color??

wyndski

Songster
15 Years
Dec 12, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
When do chicks get their adult color? I have one going on 3 months old and every time I look at him he seems to be changing colors. I thought he was going to be black (green cast in light) with white like his mom who is a WFBS. Now he is just starting to get orange rusty colored flecks on the ends of his feathers on his neck. His father is a oegb. The chicks parents are in my picture on the side. I am just wondering how long I have to wait to see what he will end looking like? The first molting
hu.gif
?
ebonybody.jpg

Last edited:
He will keep changing until his first adult molt. I'm anxiously awaiting my Wyandotte cockerels and pullets getting old enough so they molt into their final patterns!

Thank you guys. The first molt is at like 18 months right?
barnie.gif

It is going to be a long wait.
hmm.png
I really liked the thought of him staying his moms coloring. Now he is getting more red over the eye(his dad has red around his eyes with amber eyes) but has white under his eye and white lobes with dark eyes like his mom. Then with the orange flecks on his neck, I really don't know.
tongue.png
I didn't really want another roo, I just kept him to see what color I would get. I am sure I will probably keep him now, I may even hatch out a few more to see if I can a get a few hens. At least with the silkie I may not know 100% that it is a girl (I think so) but I do know it will be white.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom