When do I move them outside??

torrelee

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
long beach, wa
I have two 5 week old banty chicks. I believe they are silkie crosses. I have them in a small tractor and have been moving them out into the yard during the daytime. They seem to be pretty well feathered, and I know my big girls were outside at this age, but they seem soooo little! I'm in northern california, so my temperature is mid to low 50s at night and high 50s to low 60s during the day. I'm thinking about moving them outside and letting them have a heat lamp at night. They have been sleeping without one in the house for the last week and dont seem to have any problems.
Suggestions???
85560_imag0042.jpg

85560_imag0034.jpg

85560_imag0035.jpg

85560_imag0039.jpg

I'm in the Bay Area and mine went out at 5 weeks.
smile.png
My heat lamp was off for a week before letting them out. I say go for it!
thumbsup.gif

Since there are only two, and I tend to be over cautious...
hide.gif
I'd put them in the coop all day, but bring them in at night, stretching it later and and later each night. Give'm one more week, then cut them loose.

Last edited:
I left them out last night until just after dark and they put themselves to bed in the little house. When they sleep inside my house they sleep in the run area. At least they knew they should go inside when outside! They're pretty cute little fluff balls.

I might be a really bad chicken keeper, but mine were outside at four weeks (which was the mid to end of June). We built them a coop and run that is like a battleship, so we aren't worried about anything getting to them!
lol.png

They've been free-ranging all about my yard for two weeks now. They LOVE it. So far, so good, all 20 chickens are still around!

Quote:
Haha you're not a bad keeper at all! My ladies will be 5 weeks old this coming Thursday, and they spent their first night outside last night. I put them into their new coop in the morning so they had all day to inspect it and get used to it. When it got dark they said their good nights, and went to sleep. Didn't hear a peep out of them!
celebrate.gif

-Jake

I think friday is the day. I'm on duty wednesday and thursday so I wont be home. The plan is to reinforce the cage portion with chicken wire or welded wire and then put them in the back yard with the big girls so they have some supervision if I'm not watching them. I'm in the city and have a big privacy fence so the closest thing to a predator I have seen is a cat that hangs out in my garden next door and I doubt that he could get in through the wire.

Added chicken wire to the inside of the little run, put boards all around the edges, gave them a lamp, and stuck them outside my bedroom window so I can hear if they have a fit tonight. We'll see how it goes
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom