when do I need to worrt about my new button quail flying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CondoCountryBoy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. CondoCountryBoy

CondoCountryBoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    As some of you have already read, I recently had my first hatch ever. A batch of button quail and all are doing nicely. I built a couple tent shaped objects in their brooding box to give them hiding places and noticed that a few of them are actually trying to climb them and leap from them while flapping their wings. As of right now I do not have my brooder completely covered. When do I have to worry about these little guys flying out of their box? I am half expecting to get up one morning and find a bunch of these guys running around my porch. When do I need to completely cage them?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I would make sure they have a cover by two weeks, some of mine began flying earlier or later though.

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah, they tend to start flying at 1½ weeks, not very high the first few days but by 2 weeks it's definitely not unlikely they could clear a foot or more.

4. CondoCountryBoy

CondoCountryBoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    right now I have them in a rabbit hutch with just the plastic bottom. I put the cage on last night just incase. I have another brooder with a higher wall. I will transfer them tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by