When do mama peas normally stop brooding peachicks?

I wish I had a young peahen to sell. This year was hard on the peachicks. It rained too much this summer and all of the chicks died because of all the rain. I think it was a mixture of them getting cold and not wanting to eat because they felt miserable. I think most of the peahens realized it was a bad year for chicks because most of them didn't even bother sitting on eggs. I only had one peahen that hatched out eggs and like I said they all passed away. Next time it gets to raining like that I will try penning the peahen and her chicks in an all covered pen or something.

The only thing I have for sale right now is a yearling split to white peacock that will be two years old this summer. His name is Smarty.

My peahens is still walking around with her peachicks.  When they were younger, they would never leave her side, but now they do wander a little more before they start screaming for their mom.  My peachicks are almost as big as momma, but I do have to sell some of the boys.  From what I have heard, peachicks can stay with their mom up to a year before she start fighting them away.  Of course she will not let the boys stay around that long, so peahens are luckier!  I do plan on leaving at least two peachicks with their mom and will see how that goes.  My hen and her chicks started roosting when they were between one to two weeks of age.  It is of course a bit different with a hen, since chickens chicks are not born with flight feathers...

The peachicks are nearing four months. There are two India Blue peacocks (one has some white flights, but dad is white), one that is peach/cameo not sure yet (just found out this year my simple old white was split to cameo or peach), and there are two blackshoulder spaldings. Those BS spaldings are not the moms. She was given a few eggs from the BS pen when she went broody. She does have one more peachick, which could be peach or cameo blackshoulder. Once again, it came out of simple colors... The dad died over the summer, so I just have their mom left, but the mom was bs spalding, so I am assuming that the chick has spalding blood. I guess this was the year for me to find out that my breeders are split to some cool colors! She did have more, but the others were lost when they would go inside for the night.

MY EXPERIENCE IS: My peahens don't "fight" (as you say) their youngsters away after a year. They just ignore them because they're interested in mating. My peahens don't "ignore" their male chicks any sooner then the female. The peahens start ignoring them, both male and female when it gets near the next seasons breeding. I only leave 2 chicks with each hen to raise if free ranging. She can care for a couple a lot easier then several. Friends that leave them all with the mom usually end up with only 1 or 2 in the end so why let those other babies become food for predators. If predators become a problem I put the mom and chicks in a pen for protection or if I don't have a pen available I take the chicks from mom for their safety. I pretty much sell all the chicks now due to having so many adults that are all pets.

Back
Top Bottom