When do Roosters start to crow?

I have some one week old chicks, as of tomorrow. There is one rooster that I know of. At least there better be. :D Anyway the other day I heard a chick chirp in a very hoarse voice. Nothing since but it was weird! My little brahmas make the cutest trilling sound. Other than that they just all sound like cute little chicks. :)

Yesterday evening one of my five DAY ( ! ) old bantam cochins stood up his legs, stretched his neck out and crowed! Seriously shocked.
Hey the only rooster I am supposed to have is a cochin too. So did he keep up the crowing or back off till he was older? That hoarse chirping I heard was very very suspicious.

The crowing can range, it can start from a few weeks old, but if there is two roosters the less dominat one may not start crowing until the roosters are seperated. srry for my bad spelling

We have 13 week old mix (there's some RIR in there, I believe) that has yet to make a noise. He was one of 6 chicks that we hatched where 5 turned out to be cockerels. We sold one barred rock and gave 3 to our friends who have a farm after they all started crowing at about 11 weeks. We kept this last one, hoping that it was a pullet, but it's become very obvious it's a roo now that his tail is really starting to grow. What I wouldn't give for him to never crow, but I know it's only a matter of time.

Crazy question but I'm new to this so please hear me out. I have a SLW who is about 6 mos old. I thought she was a hen but for the past two days she's being doing a half crow kinda thing. It goes (don't laugh) caw caw not caw ca caw ca caw. Is she a he? :/

Crazy question but I'm new to this so please hear me out. I have a SLW who is about 6 mos old. I thought she was a hen but for the past two days she's being doing a half crow kinda thing. It goes (don't laugh) caw caw not caw ca caw ca caw. Is she a he?
hmm.png
I have a crowing RIR hen...she lays an egg almost every day.

Well... 'she' isn't laying and at 6 months a SLW really should be... on the other hand the roo's of this breed have a pretty distinctive tail by 6 months... You should probably post a photo. Full body side view if possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom