When is it humane to euthanise unwanted eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I’m hatching a few Muscovy Eggs. Currently have 6 going but I’ll only need about 4, I’ve been wondering to what point it is humane that I dispose of any extra unwanted eggs if too many develop? I read it’s up until 80% of growth, on what day of incubation will they be 80%? I would hate to think I’m causing them much pain.
Many thanks 🐣
what day are they on?? 80% sounds way too late. Also definitely dont count your ducks before they hatch.

I do sometimes sell hatching eggs of my La Flèche (rare chicken breed) and to determine the fertility rate at a certain time, I set a dozen fresh eggs in my automatic incubator. After 3-4 days the fertility shows as the eggs begin to develop.

In case I don't want/need the chicks, I boil the eggs and feed them to my dogs.

As I often have 100% fertility rate with the eggs of my own birds, I sometimes just give them to chicken keeping friends for their broodies or to procede the incubation with their own incubators. In cases even the hatching rate is 100%, I sell the surplus chicks.

I've found it very simple to raise extra chicks to the point that they're off heat or up to Point-of-Lay and then sell them via Craigslist.

By doing this I've been able to pick the best birds -- size, temperament, coloring, etc. -- for my flock.

If you cull in the egg you might be culling your only females or culling the strongest chicks instead of the weak ones.

If you cull in the egg you might be culling your only females or culling the strongest chicks instead of the weak ones.

That is a big point. I have to laugh, cause I ordered 25 chicks, minimum order, to get 6. I will be selling the extra's, and eating the roosters.

The thing about death, is quick is what is important, not when.

Mrs K

Hi there,
I’m hatching a few Muscovy Eggs. Currently have 6 going but I’ll only need about 4, I’ve been wondering to what point it is humane that I dispose of any extra unwanted eggs if too many develop? I read it’s up until 80% of growth, on what day of incubation will they be 80%? I would hate to think I’m causing them much pain.
Many thanks 🐣
please don't kill the eggs you don't want. Would you kill a healthy growing duckling that you don't want? It's the same as that! Sell the extras, keep what you want!

Last edited:
please don't kill the eggs you don't want. Would you kill a healthy growing duckling that you don't want? It's the same as that! Sell the extras, keep what you want!
To be honest, I don’t personally believe it’s the same. Not to get too controversial but I do believe abortion is ethical, and I believe life begins at birth/hatch. My problem is there will be no one in my area who will actually buy them probably. But I will try.

To be honest, I don’t personally believe it’s the same. Not to get too controversial but I do believe abortion is ethical, and I believe life begins at birth/hatch. My problem is there will be no one in my area who will actually buy them probably. But I will try.
Will you ship? I could take them if you do, just don’t kill them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom