Hannahruepepsie

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
I have two ducks the khaki Campbell (Pepsi) and a runner (Rue) if both are hens when will I be expecting eggs from them and do they need somewhere perticular to lay them or will they just lay them where they want? They stay outside all day and come in on a night due to the amount of foxes that live around me. They have a big create they they sleep in on a night full or hay. Oh almost forgot they are 12 weeks old now?

I have read it depends on age (varied with breed) some with 3-4 months others longer. I think daylight hours are also a part of them laying. Some use a light in their coop to extend light and encourage laying.
Lots of people here will know much more than me. I have a 4 month old Rouen and she's not laying yet. I put a couple ceramic eggs in the coop where she sleeps but she just nosed them out.

I'm looking forward to other replies so I can "egg up" before winter!

I have two ducks the khaki Campbell (Pepsi) and a runner (Rue) if both are hens when will I be expecting eggs from them and do they need somewhere perticular to lay them or will they just lay them where they want? They stay outside all day and come in on a night due to the amount of foxes that live around me. They have a big create they they sleep in on a night full or hay. Oh almost forgot they are 12 weeks old now?

My first egg was from my Rouen, and she was 147 days old, or exactly 21 weeks old. But that was literally last Wednesday, and the Cayugas that were hatched on the same day have still not started laying, but I hope that helps lol : )) Oh forgot to mention, I don't provide extra light, and the Rouen just lays her eggs wherever in the coop and actually buries it with hay, so keep that in mind lol. She also lays them around 4:30-5 in the morning! So I wouldn't be concerned about them hiding their eggs outside of the coop if you don't let them out until you get up which I'm assuming is after 4:30.

I have read it depends on age (varied with breed) some with 3-4 months others longer. I think daylight hours are also a part of them laying. Some use a light in their coop to extend light and encourage laying.
Lots of people here will know much more than me. I have a 4 month old Rouen and she's not laying yet. I put a couple ceramic eggs in the coop where she sleeps but she just nosed them out.

I'm looking forward to other replies so I can "egg up" before winter!
Thank you every little bit of info help!! Thank you

My first egg was from my Rouen, and she was 147 days old, or exactly 21 weeks old. But that was literally last Wednesday, and the Cayugas that were hatched on the same day have still not started laying, but I hope that helps lol : )) Oh forgot to mention, I don't provide extra light, and the Rouen just lays her eggs wherever in the coop and actually buries it with hay, so keep that in mind lol. She also lays them around 4:30-5 in the morning! So I wouldn't be concerned about them hiding their eggs outside of the coop if you don't let them out until you get up which I'm assuming is after 4:30.
Thank you this really helps me!

Not sure about the eggs but wanted to give you a "heads up" about the foxes. They WILL come out during the day and go after your ducks! I had a fox run across my front lawn a couple of weeks ago about 3:00 in the afternoon!

Thank you this really helps me!

Thank you for your input I have two Cayuga’s and their beautiful black and green feathers are coming in strong now. They along with a Golden Layer have bonded with my naughty little Rouen. No more hand feeding ☹️ or sitting on my lap, well they are ducks and not lapdogs I guess. I hope I have plenty of eggs next year with 6 girls and two boys.

Not sure about the eggs but wanted to give you a "heads up" about the foxes. They WILL come out during the day and go after your ducks! I had a fox run across my front lawn a couple of weeks ago about 3:00 in the afternoon!
Oh gosh! I will definitely have to make the yard more secure thank you again.

Thank you for your input I have two Cayuga’s and their beautiful black and green feathers are coming in strong now. They along with a Golden Layer have bonded with my naughty little Rouen. No more hand feeding ☹️ or sitting on my lap, well they are ducks and not lapdogs I guess. I hope I have plenty of eggs next year with 6 girls and two boys.
I was thinking about getting some Cayugas what are they like? Are they noisy I've heard they are one of the quieter ducks you can get? My runner is such a baby she loves a cuddle and tickles under her head! Yet my khaki Campbell gets so interested and curious but she just won't take that step onto my knee yet! I still have hope though

Well my Cayuga’s will eat from my hand. That’s about it. They are very quite but only 2 months old. Time will tell. The Rouen is quite loud and extremely stand offish. I can’t touch her. She was a meat bird for someone I think. I bought her from a Craigslister who spoke very little English. I could tell she had been handled gently and was terrified of the guy. So that fear behavior and skittishness may be learned??

Back
Top Bottom