When should I assist a hatch

Apr 2, 2023
I have had a chick pipped for over 24 hours with a bit of progress the hole has almost tripled in size from when I last saw it I am wondering when I should assist and if so how I should do it

I have had a chick pipped for over 24 hours with a bit of progress the hole has almost tripled in size from when I last saw it I am wondering when I should assist and if so how I should do it
Give it more time. I had a chick like this yesterday. Sometimes they'll rest for awhile before finishing.

If it’s been over 2 days and it hasn’t started zipping, I would assist. Sometimes they can make a bigger hole from where they originally pipped, but their beak will be sticking far out and they’re unable to zip. When you notice it’s chirps getting quieter and it seems to be getting weaker is another tell-tale sign that it needs assistance. But like the above said, sometimes they just rest for a bit before zipping. It can take a couple days sometimes :)

If it’s been over 2 days and it hasn’t started zipping, I would assist. Sometimes they can make a bigger hole from where they originally pipped, but their beak will be sticking far out and they’re unable to zip. When you notice it’s chirps getting quieter and it seems to be getting weaker is another tell-tale sign that it needs assistance. But like the above said, sometimes they just rest for a bit before zipping. It can take a couple days sometimes :)
Big hole doesn't mean they can't zip. Just hatched a few minutes ago.
20230424_182238.jpg

It pipped on Sunday and hasn’t hatched today there was another egg who has hatched now and that one pipped after the one who hasn’t hatched yet

If you remove part of the shell and look at the membrane has all the blood been absorbed? It might look a little dark brown as it’s been 2 now since pip. If it’s bright red pop it back in the incubator as that means it’s not ready.

Hi thanks for your help she had to have a full assist and when I broke in the membrane was very hard and it took a while to soften it up She is ok except for the fact that she has crooked toe and spraddle foot and i have no idea how to fix it! Whenever I try she either can’t walk or it doesn’t seem to do anything!

Back
Top Bottom