when to introduce my ladies to the rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by matthew_John, Jun 9, 2017.

1. matthew_John

matthew_John Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2017
    Ballston Spa, NY
    I have an adult rooster and 4 week old hens. When and how should I introduce them? We have hawks and other predators, and want to have a rooster for some extra protection. Are they too young to meet THE Guy?

Hybridchucks likes this.
  2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    hmmm, I am not sure, but I think it would be ok. Currently I have an adult rooster and 3 juvenile roosters, with my flock. The older rooster just ignores the younger one, although once, they were driving him nuts, and he stomped his feet, it was hilarious.

I am not quite sure with a strange flock. I think I would try it, see how it goes. But until the combs turn red, roosters generally leave them alone, unless it is a young rooster, and they will jump anything they can catch. Interestingly they have not been bothering anything yet, and I am sure that is because they are afraid of the old man.

Mrs K

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Do you have other birds too?
    How old is the 'adult rooster'?

I wouldn't count on a rooster to protect 4 week olds from predators.

Here's how I integrate chicks at 4 weeks into the flock:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

The cockbird is the least likely to bother the chicks, usually it's the lower ranking hens that can be more bullyish.

CTKen likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by