When to put chicks out in the new coop

six little chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Hornell, NY
My boyfriend has been building a coop for our chicks, he is just about done, he has to hook up the last light and hang the feeder and waterer, but my question is how old should the chicks be, before we put them outside in the coop, I live in Western New York, so the weather has been pretty funky lately, yesterday it was cold and rainy and today it’s in the mid 70’s and humid. My chicks were a week old when I got them, on April 28th, so now they’re four weeks old. I don’t want to put them out there too soon, so I was just wondering. Thanks.

I always wait till at least mine are feathered but I don't have a light they can go under in my coop. If they can stay warm and dry they should be fine going out.
frow.gif

Hey! I also have six chicks that were hatched at the same time as yours -- I'm in Northern California and the weather here has been really funky as well. Also, my husband is working on finishing our coop like yours is! Ahhhh! They're growing faster than he can work... I actually count the chicks' age as three weeks not four. If they were hatched on April 21 then they are just over three weeks old and have about three more weeks to go until they can go outside -- at least that's what I've been told. I'm new though so am in no way an expert. My girls are driving me mad because they are VERY active and loud. They're in the house because the garage has no appropriate spot to put them. I look forward to having separate living quarters! As much as I love them they need their space and I need mine...

Mine went outside TODAY, just about an hour ago! They are 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 weeks old. They've been without the heat lamp for a couple of days.

I believe chicks have most of their feathers by 6 weeks old.

I'm really happy they're outside because I too want my dining room back. Seriously, it's been nothin' but a "Chick Romper Room" for the past few weeks.
Of course I will miss the little peepers, especially at night, but it's better for them to be outside at this age.

Good luck w/ your chicks!
smile.png

I am a rookie at this, but wanted to share what I just did. We have seven 6 weekers and 38 2 weekers. the 6 weekers went out in the coop first obviously. But I desperately needed to get the youngens out, we just did not have the room. Well, what I did was made a "hover" brooder in the coop. We left the wall about 3 inches from the ground so the itty bitties can get in and out as they please, and keeps the older ones out. So if the little ones need to get away from the bigger ones, they can, and when the need heat, they go in the brooder. Well it has been 65 degrees out side today. The brooder was 85, and the coop was about 75. Most of the chicks were out of the brooder, but in the coop, and 6 of them spent the day OUTSIDE in the 65 degree sunny weather. I was afraid that they were cold, so I put them back in, but the kept coming out. So at 2 weeks old, they wanted to be outside, scratching and foraging. it was so cute....who needs a brooder anyway???
big_smile.png

The sooner they leave the house the better. My first set of chicks last year. Stayed in the house until 10 weeks. My coop was not done. Now My chicks Brooder is in the garage. I don't miss the feathers and dust.

Back
Top Bottom