When to Rehome Cockerel

ks6chicks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
SE Kansas
One of my three chicks turned out to be a male. I can’t keep a rooster in town, but I have a friend who will take him. They are 7 weeks old now, and still inside because the nights are still getting down to 40 degrees sometimes. I’m assuming he’ll be quarantined at his new home, and I don’t want him to get cold. I’m really sad I can’t keep him and I just want to make it as easy as possible for the little guy.

Since you have someone ready to take him, I'd pass him on to your friend now. At 7 weeks he should be well-feathered.

I see you're in SE KS...I grew up in NE KS :highfive:

He'll have a much easier time of integrating while young plus he'll be smaller and able to find hidey-holes easier. Now is a good time to re-home him. Yes, he'll need to be quarantined, but that doesn't mean that he can't be in a "Look, Don't Touch" situation WHILE he's under quarantine; this will greatly ease the process of integrating him and because it's long before his testosterone kicks into full swing, the resident rooster (if there is one) will be less offended by his presence.

Back
Top Bottom