When to start feeding food/oyster shell for egg production

OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
My Rhode Island Red hen is 2 days away from 14 weeks(at least i’m pretty sure, if not 14 then 15). I noticed she started trying out the nesting boxes a few days ago but hasn’t squatted yet. I’m thinking she might be an early layer possibly and if so should I start her on oyster shells or feed for egg layers? Do you think she may be an early layer based on her face?

Attachments

• D59528A4-C5B2-48C8-9FAF-8699ECD9A8CA.jpeg
    D59528A4-C5B2-48C8-9FAF-8699ECD9A8CA.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 24
  • 45CE5E46-CCA1-45A1-863C-88277EC6955B.jpeg
    45CE5E46-CCA1-45A1-863C-88277EC6955B.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 13
My Rhode Island Red hen is 2 days away from 14 weeks(at least i’m pretty sure, if not 14 then 15). I noticed she started trying out the nesting boxes a few days ago but hasn’t squatted yet. I’m thinking she might be an early layer possibly and if so should I start her on oyster shells or feed for egg layers? Do you think she may be an early layer based on her face?
It won't hurt to put out the oyster shell. What are you feeding the flock?

It won't hurt to put out the oyster shell. What are you feeding the flock?
At the moment I’m using and “All flock” feed because I have a turkey, chickens, and 6 week chicks that are all free range and come and go to the feeder as they please so it was easier just to get a variety feed

At the moment I’m using and “All flock” feed because I have a turkey, chickens, and 6 week chicks that are all free range and come and go to the feeder as they please so it was easier just to get a variety feed
You can continue to feed that, just put out a separate container of Oyster Shell.

You can continue to feed that, just put out a separate container of Oyster Shell.
X2
Everyone on the same food makes life so much easier, especially at integration time. I just recently learned from @DobieLover that you can feed chicks right out of the shell All Flock. Wish I had known that before I bought a 40lb bag of chick food lol

I just recently learned from @DobieLover that you can feed chicks right out of the shell All Flock. Wish I had known that before I bought a 40lb bag of chick food lol
I feed it to chicks too, I do grind up the crumbles in the blender for the first week or so.
The older birds can eat the chick starter.....no worries.

I feed it to chicks too, I do grind up the crumbles in the blender for the first week or so.
The older birds can eat the chick starter.....no worries.
Oh I know I’m not worried… just annoyed that I bought it in general lol. Waiting for the chick starter to run out, then everyone’s on All Flock forever. I’ll never buy chick food again! Good tip on using a blender to grind it up a little; we do have a designated pet blender (not for eating our dogs lol) that I use when making chicken / dog treats.

we do have a designated pet blender (not for eating our dogs lol) that I use when making chicken / dog treats.
🎵 One say I went a'walkin, a'walkin in a store,
I bought a pound of sausages and laid em on the floor,
I then began to whistle, a'whistle up a tune,
And all the little sausages went dancing around the room,
Oh Mr Johnnyferbeck,
How could you be so mean,
I told ya you'd be sorry for inventin' that machine,
Now all the neighbors cats and dogs will never more be seen,
They've all been ground to sausages in Johnnyferbeck's machine! 🎶

....sorry I couldn't help myself... My great gramma and great aunt used to always sing that and I rarely get a good opportunity to share it 😂 Sorry, nothing to see here, carry on...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom