When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
I chose a year, but I knew that Odin was a bad egg before that. I think 6 months is too soon though.. at 6 months he was still safe to be let out when my kids were around, but by the following spring I would only let him out when I was the only person outside. During the winter I was able to enter his space (crawling) to unblock the pop door and he didn't mess with me, but by a year I was getting more wary of him (those spurs!), at 15 months I rarely let him loose and knew what had to be done, but it wasn't until about 18 months that I finally did it. [<world's longest run-on sentence]

I have had so many nasty cockerels in a row I didn’t think I was ever going to get a good one and I don’t handle them or anything either other than normal looking at them for bugs and health. All of a sudden I have 4 great cockerels/ roosters, a black copper Marans, Crested Cream Legbar, Blue Isbar and a ameraucana they are a pleasure to be around they are all just at one year old.
Oh my heart be still! That is my dream. Right now, my life is a nightmare.

I have read that having a few older hens helps keep the cockerel in line and learn good manners. Best of luck with your aracauna! I bet he beautiful.
Here he is!
DSC_0152.JPG

UK standard!

What if they never were brats at 5-6 months? I'm hoping mine stays the way he has been. He is such a good boy. He is about 7 months now. Yesterday I had to take one of the younger girls out and clean a boo boo on her foot. Of course she was squawking away. He goes on alert and will talk but that's it. When I brought her back in, I told him I had to fix her, he tilted his head sideways like he understood and went about his business. He seems to trust everything I do and respects me and I give him that same respect. We work well as a team and I would be very sad if he switched gears. He will be at that one year mark in the Spring when hormones are raging. I would like a couple of his babies if he maintains his disposition.

Every one I've had turn bad went before 18 months. They will seem fine and then BANG. The last one I put in with some pretty mean old hens that gave him what-for and he was the worst I've ever had.
Thanks for sharing, but that's a bit disheartening. I was hoping for earlier warning signs that a rooster was going to be a problem.

Roosters should be given more time to correct their behavior than just early on in their teen years..... I mean, I'm sure some of you are mothers who experienced children going through that teenage stage, I'm sure at some point you wanted to put them up for adoption but then you stuck it out and they turned out fine........ right? Hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom