When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
All those wattles!:love
I think the biggest thing is to go about your business when near them. I don't do anything different. He is right there when I rake the run, change water, add food or pet the girls. He follows me around while I'm adding bolts here and there to secure the pen. If I'm on the other side, I can look up and he is right there watching me with such a look that I if human I would think he was supervising. He was completely interested in the tarping of the one side. He is used to noise, rakes, brooms, hoses, etc. He has shown zero aggression with visitors such as my son or sister. Of course o stand in front of them at first and watch him, but he shows complete neutral behavior. I feel like if I trust it, he trusts it because I firmly believe he trusts me. The only time I've ever disciplined him was when him and the other boy were challenging each other and he didn't seem hold that against me

Here is my boy Prince

View attachment 1543157

I respectfully disagree with Chickengeorgeto. Some roosters become very aggressive to people, without any provocation on the people's part. Not all, but at least some. To my way of thinking, there is a world of difference in raising a rooster in a multi-generational flock in a large area verses raising in a small back yard. If there is going to be problems, they tend to get magnified in a small flock.

I like a rooster that is alert. He should be the first one to see me. He needs to be paying attention to the surroundings. When I have a year old rooster with the flock, I seldom have a day time predation. Until they are a year old, they are not worth much as a flock protector.

However, RR is fond of saying, they are animals, and no one can predict for sure what they will do.

Never take one for granted, keep an eagle eye on him if their are little children around.

Be aware, and don't make excuses for him. A sharp knife is the best tool for a getting a good rooster. Hope this is the one. I think roosters raised up in a flock, turn out better.

Mrs K

It only depends if u play with him when young more then feed and water daily treats and petting.
I never play or mess around with cockerels. Heck, I really don't mess around with pullets, either. You'll still get some bad apples. Most chicks, you either don't know the breeder or they're from hatcheries, which are not breeding with an eye toward temperament at all. I believe that if we're going to keep chickens in smaller areas and smaller flocks, there needs to be some thought for temperament when breeding.
I'm very happy with my current pushing 2yo cock; he's alert, he calls out, he tidbits and rounds them up when he feels it's necessary, yet he has not decided that I am a serious threat yet. That's the perfect compromise, to me. If I keep breeding from birds like him, I should end up with a majority of birds similar, which is exactly what I want.

I think the biggest thing is to go about your business when near them. I don't do anything different. He is right there when I rake the run, change water, add food or pet the girls. He follows me around while I'm adding bolts here and there to secure the pen. If I'm on the other side, I can look up and he is right there watching me with such a look that I if human I would think he was supervising. He was completely interested in the tarping of the one side. He is used to noise, rakes, brooms, hoses, etc. He has shown zero aggression with visitors such as my son or sister. Of course o stand in front of them at first and watch him, but he shows complete neutral behavior. I feel like if I trust it, he trusts it because I firmly believe he trusts me. The only time I've ever disciplined him was when him and the other boy were challenging each other and he didn't seem hold that against me

Here is my boy Prince

View attachment 1543157
The way you talk about going about your business is what I’ve always done, even to the point of finishing up the “chicken side” of the coop while they were still very young on the “storage side” of the coop. They are used to all the power tool noises and my presence, both while still inside the coop and even now that they free range. I just wish the cockerel I wanted to be the leader of my flock was the one who wanted to keep to himself. :confused:

@CSAchook , You've known me since my rooster was a baby, and you also know i'm a little off the normal path with how I treat my boy as far as being pretty hands on and comfortable with him. In my case I was pretty sure he was a keeper by 6 months. He's weird though, you know that. He hasn't changed much now that he's almost 2. No added sass directed towards me but he's still got alot of his endearing young fella traits, he's just much bigger. You've also been around for the hatching of his sons and saw the one boy Early, showed he wasn't a keeper at least for me pretty darn well...Early.:gig

"Charlie" my Dominique rooster, is what I've been looking for in a rooster for years!
He's the perfect gentlemen :)
IMG_7099 (1).JPG

IMG_8976.JPG

Back
Top Bottom