When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
I agree with the poster that stated the difference between disposition (natural state of mind and emotion) and temperament (tendency to state of mind and emotion).

I believe disposition is genetic and temperament comes from handling (or mishandling).

Over the years, I have hatched and re-homed or culled a number of roosters.

It took me about 3 years to settle on my current senior rooster, a very sweet Barnevelder. I could tell at a very early age that he was different from the others I'd had and even from his cousin/brother purchased from the same store batch.

His disposition, initial first reactions, were nonconfrontational to me and calm overall.

I then began to handle and train him into good behavior. He was introduced to matron hens at the adolescent teen age, and they trained him that he would have to woo them to get anywhere.

He has remained calm and respectful. He challenged me once, half heartedly, which upon my surprised and quick reaction, he ran screaming and crying like a girl (I merely firmly but gently booted him off me). He has never challenged me again.

He has been kind to his girls, gentle with chicks, and a good protector keeping an eye out for hawks and alerting when necessary. He calms squabbles between hens, and makes sure all are included so flock integration is a breeze. However, be it known, he will not lay his life down for the girls when a raccoon is in the coop. He ran with the rest of them. (Oh well...thankful to still have him).

Of his sons, most have had his temperament, though not all. I almost kept one of his sons last year, however, I decided I did not want to introduce another set of genes at the time. As that son had the disposition of his father, he did not have the training of the other older hens, and he was culled upon developing the nasty habit of slamming my broody bantam Cochin to the ground (his foster mother). So he was culled.

This year, I have chosen my calmest Cream Legbar and bred her to my Barnevelder. This batch of boys have produced all with good disposition. I chose the best looking, and oldest, and have kept him for training.

He is now in with the older matrons since he is about 3 months of age. His broody momma has taught him all she can (she's only a bantam), and now my rooster and matron hens will teach him what he needs to know.

I will continue to watch and assess over the next several months, however, from his early contact, I have very great expectations for him to be like his father as his behaviors are identical as his dad's at that age.

My experiences.
LofMc

I have a 10 week old that attacks me everytime I put food & water in the coop. Drew blood the last time. Is this a pretty clear indication that he's gonna need to go?
At 10 weeks old he is still young and doesn't know where his boundaries are.... he's testing to see where they are at. It doesn't mean he's gonna automatically be a little terror for life, this is how they learn what is acceptable and what is not. Just put him in his place whenever he tries to challenge you, hold him down and pin him to the ground each time he pecks or kicks you.

At 10 weeks old he is still young and doesn't know where his boundaries are.... he's testing to see where they are at. It doesn't mean he's gonna automatically be a little terror for life, this is how they learn what is acceptable and what is not. Just put him in his place whenever he tries to challenge you, hold him down and pin him to the ground each time he pecks or kicks you.
I was "gifted" 22 chickens and 2 turkeys when they were 3 weeks old. I've never owned a bird much less touched one. I've tried to handle them as much as possible (read that I should to keep them docile). I had no idea what their sexes were, but I'm thinking that that 3/4 of them are in fact roosters. He's the only one who's been a problem so far. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of the roosters. They will probably end up being yard birds because I have no intentions of eating them, and I don't think there's much of a market for them.

How many cock/erels have you raised?

Why does it matter? I've gotten my once biter and kicker of a cockerel to behave and I'm just telling the person what works for me..... and for you guys to all say 'Off with their heads!" at the first sign of aggression, to me, is just ludicrous.
Because hands on experience (more than one bird) is most important when giving advice.

Back
Top Bottom