When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
I've read that it is best for a cockerel to be raised with older hens, and perhaps an older rooster that will check some of the adolescent craziness. Are there other flock dynamics involved? I'd be interested in what your experience has been.

I was mainly just trying to say that there are so many variables to consider, some generalizations apply, but some don't.

Personally, I keep quite a few roosters, but I have 8 pens, separated by breeds, plus a few bachelor boys that free-range. I prefer to keep 2 males in each pen, an older one, and a younger one. Most times, I don't have any problems doing this. I did have one second-in-command rooster decide he wanted to be top dog, but mostly the younger ones learn their place until they get their own flock. I've only had a couple of mean roosters. Right now, I have way too many roosters, and I'm currently evaluating which ones to keep, which ones to move, and which ones will go. I've moved roosters from one pen to another, and they sometimes seem like totally different birds, when given a new set of flockmates. I've removed roosters, and the remaining one may have a total different attitude once his "buddies" are gone.

One funny story, I had a little frizzled bantam cochin rooster. He was one of those quick ankle attackers, on occasion. Cocky little fella. After I got some frizzled girls, I needed to move him out. The only place I had for him was with some production red older hens that had just lost their rooster. They sure put that boy in his place. They bloodied his face, comb, wattles.... until he finally learned they were boss. He was hard-headed. But after he healed, he lived with them for a very long time, and was a great flock commander for them, and they eventually showed him plenty of love.

A point you make regarding the diposability of roosters is one that I see so often. I'm pleased to read you may think differently.
I'm not a believer in the good rooster/bad rooster division. I beleive many that get killed for their behaviour could be rescued. Many people just don't have the time or the interest.
This site is full of advice regarding rooster training, you just have to work through what seems sensible and if that doen't work, try another approach.
I'm not sure what I'll do with all of these roosters. They for sure won't be soup. They probably won't be in the coop with my hens either. I have enough room for everybody (for now).

Flock dynamics make a huge, HUGE difference in cock/erels.

Absolutely! I have so few problems because I have closed tribes.
The senior hen teaches the cockerel manners and the senior rooster teaches it respect.
I’m completely flabbergasted when I read that people kill their senior hens because they don’t lay eggs often enough.
Flocks, tribes, call them what you will thrive with stability and structure. If you’ve got stranger coming and going it’s hard to maintain either.

I'm not sure what I'll do with all of these roosters. They for sure won't be soup. They probably won't be in the coop with my hens either. I have enough room for everybody (for now).

The easiest solution is outlined by @WVduckchick and that is to have separate groups.
This isn’t practical for many but I keep small tribes in separate coops and each tribe has at least one rooster and often a rooster and a cockerel. If something happens to the senior rooster the next one in line steps up (sometime with a bit of encouragement). The hens already know him and the tribe doesn’t disperse.
For me here a tribe without a rooster is a lot of dead hens. Not because the roosters are all magnificent protectors but because they are the focal point of the tribe.

The easiest solution is outlined by @WVduckchick and that is to have separate groups.
This isn’t practical for many but I keep small tribes in separate coops and each tribe has at least one rooster and often a rooster and a cockerel. If something happens to the senior rooster the next one in line steps up (sometime with a bit of encouragement). The hens already know him and the tribe doesn’t disperse.
For me here a tribe without a rooster is a lot of dead hens. Not because the roosters are all magnificent protectors but because they are the focal point of the tribe.
I can appreciate that. Unfortunately, I think I've ended up with about 15 roosters, and 5 hens...

If you are googling: How do I know if I need stitches? Then he's probably not the rooster for you. (that was the deciding factor for *me* anyway, at around 5 months)

My formerly-aggressive rooster is doing fine, on a big farm, hanging out with many hens, and a new, *experienced* chicken mom, whom he doesn't chase or even give "side-eye" to.

I fully own up to my mistakes in raising him. It's like dating, sometimes it's not a good fit.

Have you successfully rehabilitated a rank rooster?
I actually think I did, or rather a seasoned rooster did for me.
I had a beautiful young Brahma roo who was awful to my girls. He never danced, or showed food let alone shared. He was a big mean bully who pulled out feathers all day long. Good with chicks but not that great. I showed dominance over him, separated him through gates and fences from the hens but the minute he got a chance he would attack the hens. So, I took him down to our pasture where there are free ranging flocks (Kauai). He came out of the crate all full of himself and twice the size of any rooster there, well fed, rested and healthy. He immediately started fighting with the dominant Cinnamon roo. Stressed out everybody and everything, I felt awful. Thought I had a devil chicken and now I was not going to feel bad about shooting him. Well, I gave him a chance, it took a few hours but that Cinnamon, after losing a few battles, kept after him and finally kicked the snot out of that big beautiful young boy. I left him overnight and by the next eve he was begging to come home. That Cinnamon would not let up on him, (lol!)he finally chased him under the riding mower where the Brahm wedged himself and literally cried, it broke my heart. So... I took him home and he was a changed boy- nice, kind, patient, danced, shared... a dream boy, perfect, except he started crowing, and crowing, and crowing. So I found a nice home for him with someone who had more understanding neighbors. But he lives and is now for breeding. Wish I could have kept him :(

Great thread - I've really enjoyed reading all your experiences. I have a mixed age flock - 2 silkie mamas about 2 years old, 3 nearly year old pullets (who are excellent at putting the young cockerals in their place!) and the rest (12ish I think) ranging from a month to 5 months. The eldest hatch were 1 araucana pullet and the other 2 cockerals. I'm hoping to keep them both, 1 is just a lovely big orp mix and the other a stunning pure white arucana. They have no problems with each other (sorted when they were small I think) and even though I have no idea what I'm doing we seem to be getting on just fine so far! I always keep 1/2 an eye but have always been calm and just get on with what I need to do, dont' try to handle them and they have never given me any grief. Spurs are just starting to grow so we shall see if it stays that way! the breeder I got them from has lovely calm roos so hoping it will stay that way. Still need to decide what to do with the younger roos coming up - 2nd hatch I have a magnificent blue Orp (very docile) that I really would hate to see go in the pot and the 3rd lot I'm sure I have at least one BCM roo. For the moment they are all playing nicely so I'm playing wait and see!
Great advice....calm, cool, collected.

Back
Top Bottom