When will I know the sex

mexihen

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
I'm new to the forum and to chicken husbandry. I was given two chicks last week. I have no idea how old they are, other than they are young. They are almost entirely fledged out with feathers, but still have some fluff on their heads. My question is, at what stage will I know what sex they are? Do cockerals start crowing when they are still young? This is important as I live in town and can't' have a rooster. So far they have been a joy. They eat about a metric ton of food everyday, but other than that. How can something so small eat so much!!!

Here they are a week ago, they are about double this size now.
thunderandlightning.jpg

Any insight or words of wisdom for a newbie are appreciated!

-Mexihen

I'd say they are about 6 weeks old or so. The red one sure looks like a RIR and the white one I can't say. Give them another few weeks and get a real close up head shot of each. Suspecting roo with the RIR because you can see the comb a bit already. Good luck now. You won't have to worry about crowing from the little guy for about another month if it is a boy.

hold a needle on thread over them and if it goes back and forth it a male and if it goes in circle it's a female.

the red looks like a pullet and the yellow looks like a roaster.

Last edited:
mexihen, I think it's to soon to tell, at least I can't. Be patient and watch, having different breeds means one will mature before the other. I'm thinking both pullets, but time will tell. good Luck

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom