When will my 8 week old chicks start laying eggs?

ChickenMasta1105

Chirping
Dec 9, 2020
I have 4 approximately 8-week-old hens, but I want to know when my hens will start laying eggs. Please also keep in mind my hens are Rhode Island Red hens. Thanks for your precious time!

I want to know when my hens will start laying eggs.

When they do. When you see an egg. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, I'm trying to be realistic. I've had pullets start laying at 16 weeks, I've had some not start until 9 months. A lot of it has to do with the individual. Breed, heredity, strain, length of daylight, whether days are getting longer or shorter, severe cold or hot weather, diet, and who knows what else can have some influence but I've seen full sisters start at wildly different ages. I've had some start the first part of December, the shortest days of the year where I am. I don't know if you are north or south of the equator.

You only have four. That's not a lot for averages to mean much. In general I'd think 5 to 6 months is a good guess as to when you might see your first egg from one of them. You may see eggs for most of them in that time frame. Or they may be line my three where the first one waited nine months. I understand your curiosity and really hope you don't see that kind of frustration.

Depends, hatchery chicks may start laying around 6 months. I also raise pure (heritage) Rhode Island Reds. They don't usually start laying until they are around 9 months. Good luck and have fun...

I have 4 approximately 8-week-old hens, but I want to know when my hens will start laying eggs. Please also keep in mind my hens are Rhode Island Red hens. Thanks for your precious time!
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Your young ladies will not technically be considered hens until reaching a year old. Before that the correct term is pullet and cockerel.. just for informational purposes. We still use hen and rooster in daily conversation at my house even though we know it isn't always accurate. :)

The answers you were given were good.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that with daylight starting to increase after December 21.. your ladies may start laying near late February or early March if you are lucky! :fl

They may also not follow an average molt timing next season.. while many birds wait until 18 months or their 2nd fall/winter.. who knows what our weird hatching schedules do compared to natural settings.

It depends I have a SLW hen that was 7 months efore I got and egg, But have hear d of hens laying at 14 weeks! Like you were told there are many diff factors in the hole thing.

It depends. Not for a while though. My Leghorn started at 16 weeks and I have a Wyandotte that's 9 months (same hatch day) that hasn't started yet. The rest from that flock trickled in one at a time every few weeks or so. My younger flock is 2.5 months old and I figure there's no change until March or April at the earliest with the decreased daylight.

Back
Top Bottom