When will my new full grown duck lay eggs?

mamahen222

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2015
Connecticut
I have a full grown cayuga mix duck that I got off Craigslist 3 days ago, the guy I got her from claims that she is 1 years old... Every day I look in the coop and all around the duck run and don't find any eggs.. I'm just wondering how long it will take for her to start laying again.

It can take a while. Stress will cause them to stop so when feel feels comfortable and safe she will start laying again. It took mine just over a week. I've seen others post about it taking a few weeks. It can take a bit for everyone to adjust to a new duck so give it time. She is very pretty!

Last edited:
It can take a while. Stress will cause them to stop so when feel feels comfortable and safe she will start laying again. It took mine just over a week. I've seen others post about it taking a few weeks. It can take a bit for everyone to adjust to a new duck so give it time. She is very pretty!

X2! She needs time to adjust to her new home. Did the seller say if she had been laying before you bought her? Some ducks are late bloomers and take longer to start laying their first time than others as well.

Thank you very much to both of you for your responce!! I just joined this website yesterday but I have always been on it an looking stuff up for the past 2 years :) idk why I never thought to join until now! It's so much better getting your exact answer your looking for instead of fishing through and reading ones that are similar :)
The guy said that he gets eggs everyday but she was housed with other females so he can't be positive that she was laying.

No problem! I did the same thing. I was a lurker for quite awhile before I actually joined. ^-^

Ok, I'd just be patient then and let her settle in and give her time. She may not have even started laying yet at all and Spring has just started, so just give her time. :)

So I have had her now for 9 days and still no egg... I look in the run in the coop and under the coop and don't see anything yet.... My question is, will she know where to lay the egg or it will be in a random spot? It seems like she likes the pond soo much that she won't give herself a chance to get out of the water pong enough to lay an egg haha... And also I'm curious what color the egg will be... She is a Cayuga mix with I think an ancuna and maybe a mallard? I'm not sure? What do you think she looks like she has in her?

She definitely looks like she has Cayuga in her (I have two myself), but I wouldn't know what she could be mixed with. I know as female Cayugas age they will often get white blotches on them like that, but that is after years of moults, not on a one-year-old female.

My Cayugas lay eggs varying in color: black, gray, pale green, and cream. So, they vary alot for this breed! Not sure what yours would be if she is a mix. Have you checked the bottom of your pond for eggs? Sometimes ducks will lay their eggs in their ponds. Also, 9 days is probably not long enough for her to settle in to her new home. Might even take her weeks to start laying.

You know what! Her Laying them in the pond did cross my mind! I will check today! She is constantly in the pond! And I hope that the guy I got her from didn't lie to me and tell me she's 1 and in reality she could be 5! Would there be any way to tell her age? Thanks for the info!

I don't know of any way to tell their age, no. Sorry! She probably is just mixed with something else and that is where she got all the white from. At least I hope the seller didn't lie to you like that! Anyway, hope she starts laying soon for you! :)

If she's Cayuga, she'll be whiter the older she gets. They eventually turn all white. I wouldn't think she's more than a few years old.

My ducks took a few months to start laying after I got them because they were so stressed out. Could anything around her be causing her stress now? Dogs? Loud noises? Nowhere to hide?

Back
Top Bottom