When will she lay another? **Update with NEW EGGS!!!**page 4

I'm very happy that they're actually using my "nest boxes". DH thought they wouldn't but all three eggs were laid in the plastic boxes I bought from the Dollar General. I have 8 of them, 2 stacks of 4. They're held together with bungee (spelling) cords and screwed to the wall. Works just fine!
big_smile.png

That is really lucky that they are using the nest boxes. Good chickens!
big_smile.png

My SLW uses the nest every single time, but the RIR....big dummy, has choosen to lay above the nest box in the corner.
I've tried to encourage her to lay in the box, but every single time it's in the same spot. I'm going to make her a box up there I guess. I haven't had any issues with egg eating yet, but it makes me nervous with it just right there in the open.

I have 21 more pullets that need to lay. I can only image all the places I'll find eggs.
roll.png
I'll probably have an Easter egg hunt every day when they're all laying. I hope not though.

I have 13 more pullets to start laying. Trying to be patient. Hopefully mine will get close to the nest. I've been leaving them in their run and they have access to the coop from that. Hopefully they will take the que from the SLW and lay in the nest boxes. I love to let them free range a few times a day when I have time to supervise them, but have to be on the look out for the local hawks. :(Wish they could free range all the time.

I don't free range mine but they do have a very large chicken yard, it's 40' x 50' and completely covered with game bird netting. I'm to scared to let them free range. There's all sorts of critters out here, including my dog and 4 of my cats that go outside during the day.

At least your egg hunt will be limited to one area if they do decide to lay else where. What a great size run. Yep, it's scarry out there in the big world. We have all kind of critters in the area. I would never leave mine out unsupervised. They only free range a little while in the morn and sometimes in the evening, but not every day. I am really scarred of hawks. Actually I'm scarred of all critter. I've read so many horror stories how cleave predators can be. My run is 20 x 14.

Southernchick, congrats, you seem so excited. I love it....I get excited too, when I get home to see what's there. I've only found five eggs so far but they've all been in the next boxes. I think they like laying in there for some reason, it's cooler and up off the ground.

Smitty my run is not much bigger, so I don't have to look to far either. I do look all around the run though just in case, I do feel like it's Easter every day.

I'm hoping to have more soon, I got excited the other day when I had 3 eggs in one day then nothing......
sad.png
One had a double yoke so that might be why she skipped the last day or two.

Smitty's Farm :

the RIR....big dummy, has choosen to lay above the nest box in the corner

Maybe she is trying to train you that she has decided that HER nest box is in the second layer of boxes that you haven't completed yet, so get to it.
big_smile.png
wink.png

remember there are no bad chickens, just bad owners (OK that sounds reasonable for dogs, but doesn't quite work for chickens)​

I had read on here before about the girls laying on top so I had hubby put a slanted roof on mine. I posted pics of the nest boxes over in the My, My Chickens and Family thread if any of you want to see them. I didn't have time to post each picture in appropriate thread so I just did one.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe she is trying to train you that she has decided that HER nest box is in the second layer of boxes that you haven't completed yet, so get to it.
big_smile.png
wink.png

remember there are no bad chickens, just bad owners (OK that sounds reasonable for dogs, but doesn't quite work for chickens)

We have a row of 7 nest boxes for 15 chickens. Yep, she does has me trained. I've been putting straw there in the corner to make it more cushy for her and we have already talked about adding a box up there for her. I won't add another row, b/c I have the roost above the nest and use top of nest box as a dropping shelf.

Back
Top Bottom