When you trap a predator...how do you dispose?

if you have it in a live trap go buy you a body grip trap set it put in front of live trap open live trap when coon walks out pow body trap will
take care of the rest

Quote:
Female, total lover of animals, never killed a thing larger than a spider in my life. I think I'll do as some suggest and get a paint gun and just scare the suckers from my yard.

you can scare them for the moment... but they'll be back...

Quote:
That works really well. Except they can hold their breath for a long time.

If I didn't have a gun, this is the way I'd do it... I can walk away longer than they can hold their breath!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
Female, total lover of animals, never killed a thing larger than a spider in my life. I think I'll do as some suggest and get a paint gun and just scare the suckers from my yard.

you can scare them for the moment... but they'll be back...

If they learn to associate humans and certain areas with pain from a paintgun it might be a successful deterrent. Would be even more effective if you have the pepper ball paintballs. Some city police are doing that in areas with high coyote populations to instill fear of humans.

That being said, if I ever lose a bird to a raccoon or other predator, I will kill it. I will sit outside with my 22 all night if i have to.

My then boyfriend's grandfather (he is in Heaven now) put the trap in a box and attached a hose from the box to his muffler pipe.
When I found out about it I was horrified and I don't know if it's "wrong", but I suppose that's another way.
hu.gif

Are we talking live traps or snap traps?

I do live traps and relocate. Trapping (live or not) is illegal where I live anyways, as I am sure relocating is as well. BUT so is shooting in my yard, so either way I am screwed.

Trapping and releasing is IMO, worse then just shooting it. The animal has to suddenly survive in a strange environment and will likely die of starvation or be killed by another predator.

Most wildlife biologists do not support "relocating" any animal. There is good evidence that doing this usually leads to the death of the animal involved, because you have removed it from an area it knows and placed it in to an area it knows nothing about. They can't just walk away in to some forest utopia and live happily ever after. Instead they need to find food and water, along with shelter and safety in a place they have never set foot in. They are strangers in a strange place, the residents of their own species are unlikely to welcome them and instead attack. The relocated animal has to defend itself too, combined with the rest of the issues, resulting in a highly stressed and frightened animal. They are extremely vulnerable to starvation or being dinner for some predator. All of this is ironic because the person doing the relocating did it thinking it was an act of kindness.
Instead of a quick death, they end up suffering physically and mentally before the inevitable end comes.

Ole rooster wrote: How do I dispose of a predator? I have a post hole digger and an 8 inch auger. I will dig down about four feet. Drill the hole, drop in the guilty party, cover with lime and push the dirt over the hole. That the easiest way I've found yet.

A 5 gal. bucket and a short ride down a country road. I've counted up to 5 dead opossums and 7 dead raccoons on a quick run into town (~11 miles), `road kill' happens. How it happened to be `ditched', steel belts or lead? None ask.

Turkey Vulture Preservationist.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom