Where can I be trained to be a day old chicken sexer?

akd23237

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Seems as though breeders seldom sex their chicks before selling them. I'm not sure why not. Makes it hard for some city folks (who aren't allowed to keep roosters) to order female hatchling pets. I want to be trained in how to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm in Miami, Florida. Also, if anyone knows breeders who will sex their chick before selling, please let me know where they are! Have a great day!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not a hatchery and frankly, I do not want to be stuck with a bunch of cockerels to dispose of, so I will not vent sex chicks so people can buy only the pullets from me, even if I knew how. I will sell day olds as straight run or not at all. On occasion, for special people, I raise up a few till I know which are the pullets and will sell one or two pullets, but not on any regular basis.
If you want to do that, it's your choice, but then you've shot yourself in the foot, unless you plan to fatten up all the cockerels for stew.

Last edited:
I'm not a hatchery and frankly, I do not want to be stuck with a bunch of cockerels to dispose of, so I will not vent sex chicks so people can buy only the pullets from me, even if I knew how. I will sell day olds as straight run or not at all. On occasion, for special people, I raise up a few till I know which are the pullets and will sell one or two pullets, but not on any regular basis.
If you want to do that, it's your choice, but then you've shot yourself in the foot, unless you plan to fatten up all the cockerels for stew.
Same. I know what I am looking at. I think I am 90% accurate for Vent Sexing. But I do not and will not expose to the world. Everyone will come to me then. I am stuck with bunch of roosters then :/

If you just skim down to the end and only see the phrases "annual sexing competition" and "Having exchanged his white sexing smock for a suit and tie" you get the impression that this article may be about something completely different than chickens.
ep.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Aside from I gather it takes a loooooong time to learn to vent-sex with high reliability, I would imagine that many breeders do not want to have to dispose of lots of unwanted roo chicks, which they'd otherwise be left with since more people want pullets than cockerels.

Pat

My father in laws grandfather was a chicken farmer and back in Ga he was known to be 99% accurate. He did it my gently tossing the 1 day old into the air to watch the wings and legs. Unfortunately my father in law can't recall what he was looking for. I had a local farmer state that if you take a newly hatched bird and pick it up by the back of the neck and the chicks legs dangled down it was a female. If the chick scooped them up under its body it was a male. He claimed it works everytime. I used that method when I picked out my chicks and now have all hens. I asked the lady at the store to try it out and see how well it works. She was surprised to see it was about 90% accurate. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but it is better than nothing.

When I was Younger and bought chicks at the feed store in my town , the owner showed me to hold the chicks upside down by their legs and if they fought to get up they were a roo and if they just hung there limp they were a hen. It worked pretty well probably 80%

Same. I know what I am looking at. I think I am 90% accurate for Vent Sexing. But I do not and will not expose to the world. Everyone will come to me then. I am stuck with bunch of roosters then :/
Your on a really old thread. 2008. But it is a very interesting topic, nonetheless.

Your on a really old thread. 2008. But it is a very interesting topic, nonetheless.
Sorry I m new here haha!! I am not seeing any dates :3 This is the second post I made comment where they are years old haha. Wow. Its crazy I am not only the ONE CRAZY CHICKEN LADY theres so many people for YEARSSSSS doing these :eek: omg hats off

I

it has been interesting since the time Chickens was born. As interesting as it sounds, it is not easy because even if you get 5 right out of 10. The other 5 might have similar vent but Females and Males Vent shapes are sometimes so similar. I learned and is experienced in few breeds. But, for so many shapes being similar it can be wrong as well. However, I am extremely cool with knowing which one is a boy by their Vent as almost 90% I saw had 2 balls 😂😅 if that makes sense. Then, sometimes its just one bump but the. Females do not have bumps but then in rare cases and most there might be one spot that looks like a bump but its not.
😁
I have been wrong maybe 1 time. 😃🙏🏻
Yea but i mean that I would like to start attending a course and then pursue a career (I saw that the pay is quite high and the demand too), so I was wondering where I can learn and apply

Back
Top Bottom