Where do you incubator your eggs? (ex. bathroom, spare bedroom, etc)

I have my homemade incubator and hatcher in the a walk in closet in our finished basement. As stated above, the Humidity and temperature stays consistenet in the basement and the humidity is naturally higher becasue it is the basement. Also in the closet, so that it is not affected by sun light. I have a nightlight installed in both the incubator and hatcher that is on all the time, so that I can view them any time I want.

Currently I have ours in our front room. My wife does day care in our home and the kids are not allowed in the front room. I was worried about them playing with the incubator, unplugging it, etc. My wife takes them in there a couple of times a day so they can see the eggs.

The temperature stays pretty constant in there, and it is right outside our bedroom so I am walking by a number of times a day to check on them.

Bil

Right on the kitchen counter in the middle of everything. They don't mind it though, I've had very successful hatches. I did have to put a heating pad under it this time because it got down to 29 degrees the other night. Still had 22 out of 22 hatch.

Hubby dosen't like me to have birds in the house, so all the babies and eggs stay out in the garage... till my chicken house gets built
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I used to keep in a spare bedroom. The bedroom got used. Now it's in the mudroom which is fine right now, but when warmer weather hits, I'll probably move to dh barn, but I would miss my babies. We don't ac the house so this will be a challenge. His barn has a basement area, but I wonder if the chickies in waiting want to hear all that loud noise of engine work Presently they just hear an occasional hum of the refrigerator. and then I give them music on the radio when ever the babies are about to be born...Great question by the way

Mine is in the small closet in the bathroom, the humidity from the shower does not affect the humidity in the bator. The bathroom is in the heart of my house and stays at a more even temp. Even as cold as it was last night it stays pretty much good.

Depending on which model you get, the ones you have to adjust by hand yourself can be a bit of a pain (like mine) a small space seems to be better, perhaps you have a nice cupboard, just make sure to let some fresh air in every day and let the baby chick farts escape.

I have an animal room, which I suppose would be a study or guest bedroom in any normal household, that I incubate them in. It's the only room where there is any regularity in the temperature, and the only feet that pass through are always calm feet for the sake of all the critters. When they hatch, my frilled lizard goes crazy trying to eat the poor things . . . and they never even notice. As a result, I don't have much confidence in the survival instinct of my chickens.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom