Like a few other responders here, I've done a number of different things. In high school I wanted to be a veterinarian, but my counselor told me, "You're a girl, you can't do that," and promptly signed me up for a secretarial course. So out of high school I got clerical work as I could type, file, answer phones and take shorthand. Over the years I worked for a corporate design firm, archaeologists, attorneys, construction companies and more. I taught basic dog obedience classes after hours at a local community college for at least 15 years, wrote a training manual to go with it and also gave private lessons. That was FUN! I raised a family and that was fun, too. I got out of clerical work and got a job delivering flowers. Also fun, but poor pay. Worked as a security guard in two states. After I was widowed I worked as a live-in home health aide. Very satisfying, but not great pay, I was a free agent and not certified. Still, I got room and board and folding money. I guess I just don't like being put in a box. I'm kind of a free spirit, maybe? Life's an adventure. Try different things. Try something, anything! Every day is a do-over. You won't know what you like till you try it. Put out some resumes. If you get an offer, take it. If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world. Say thanks and move on, try the next thing. Eventually you'll find something.

I've held a number of jobs, from grocery store positions (cashier/deli/produce/meat wrapper), waitress, fast food (including management), print/copy shop, chiropractic assistant, medical administration. I also was a stay-at-home mom for several years.

Don't be afraid to leave a job if you start to dislike it, but do try to give every job at least six months.

As the title says… where do you work!? You don’t have to say the exact company or anything like that… just the field/type is fine for anonymity sake. Or whatever you’d prefer. I just thought this might be an interesting thread. Especially since I’m trying to get ideas on where to work myself.

I thought about applying to the pet store, feed stores, and/or the movies but now I’m not sure. Now I’m thinking about maybe applying to a doggie daycare and/or boarding facility. It seems fun but possibly quite stressful so idk. Does anybody have experience with any of these types of places???? That would be great if you do but if not just say where/what you do for work.

Thanks!!!
Dawg, you know I've worked at both a pet store and a boarding facility/doggie daycare. As well as being a vet tech for a little bit. I loved working at the doggie daycare/boarding but I didn't get along with my coworkers. We were a caution dog facility, meaning we would board dogs that have bit before. Dogs that were known to be aggressive to both human and other dogs. Because of that, we weren't supposed to be alone with the dogs at all, no matter what. My coworker constantly would ditch me to go do other things, talk to other people, and I was left alone a lot. I couldn't get all the cleaning and other things done and run the daycare by myself. It got to the point where I simply didn't care if I got my work done. Any job can be either great or crappy, depending on who you work with. I'm a lunch lady now and while the kids stress me out, I love my coworkers, we get along great and teamwork really matters. As for the pet store, I'm not good at customer service(shocker, I know) but I loved working with the animals

Thanks! Good to know.
And since you've never had a job before, any references you give would be from people you know. No family members, that's tacky. But any clients you had from dog walking/sitting would be a good reference. Or a higher up from the club you go to

Back
Top Bottom