1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where is the best place to order silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Aug 27, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ideal? Or somewhere else? Anyone on here have silkie chicks they can ship? I especially like blue and splash... Thanks!

2. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    This is a small place not to far from me here in NC, but I got all of my chicks from her, including my silkies..They are all doing beautifully and she was great to work with..

Here is thier website

http://www.poultrypeople.com/

She does ship, and her site will tell you more!

Good Luck!

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    The big question is Show Quality or just for Pets?

And what color(s) you want.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Look on the auctions pages. Shipped chicks HAVE to be day old.

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My mom ordered some bantam silkies from mcmurryhatchery.com

6. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I will have eggs to ship in a month or 2. I have a frizzled roo in with 3 silkie hens, one splash and 2 black. I will also have a splash roo and a blue roo and splash and blue hens and will have eggs from them next spring. They are all from local breeders and are very good quality.

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys!! These are just for pets, and I love blue but am not set on any particular color.

I love that place in Goldsboro, but they're three hours from me and minimum order is 25! I really only need a few... in fact, I was considering Ideal specifically because I can order fewer than 10. Anyone have experience with that?

I'll check out the auctions pages too. Thanks!

8. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Ideal hatchery is my favorite because there is no chick minimum limit like mcmurray hatchery has.

9. Blessedchickens

Blessedchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Weatherford, Texas
    Quote:My silkies from Ideal were great. I ordered an assortment and ended up with a blue splash. She is one of my favorites!! [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys! I'm tempted by eggs, but I don't have the patience to deal with shipped eggs. [​IMG] Also, I would like to have them soon so they'll be feathered before it gets very cold. I plan to brood them indoors until they get their first feathers, and then I have wire brooders outdoors where they'll grow out.

I think I'm going to order with Ideal. My husband actually seems on board with the idea. Maybe I'll even order tonight... I told him I'd sell my magpie ducks first but... they're listed for sale, and that's almost as good, right?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by