Where should I buy my Red Sexlinks

deannd

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Marin County, California
I am probably driving myself crazy for no reason, but I cannot decide where to get red sexlinks. Townline has the Isa Browns which seems to be the rage, but I am also considering Hy-line. However, I am not sure how one goes about ordering from Hy-line. The corp site has no info on how to buy. I am already putting an order in with McMurray so perhaps I should just get them from there.

I would love to hear from people who have birds from any one of these three places, or if they have other recommendations. Also, Where is a good place to buy Buff Sexlinks?

Thanks

From what I've seen Murray's sex links seem a little bit smaller chicken than most other hatcheries.
Cackle have 4 varieties of Red Sex links: Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Red Star Sex LInks (I think these are a little smaller type bird also), and one that they just call Red Sex LInk (RIR x Delaware).

Then there is also not really a sex link but lay good likethe sex links: Amberlinks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and Austra Whites (Privett or Dunlap Hatcheries, AUtra Whites are a cross of White Leghorn over Black Australorp.

Thanks everyone... I like the idea of the smaller sexlink. I absolutely love my leghorns from McMurray. I keep reading that people find them flighty or noisy, but I have not experienced that. Although they don't like to be held or petted they are the most curious birds I have; and they are always under foot looking for goodies and are the first the greet me at the pen gate. Just love them. I would love to find a Leghorn type bird that lays a brown egg which is what my customers prefer.

Perhaps I will try the red stars from Mcmurray since they seem smaller. Thanks.

I always get the Gold Sex Link that Ideal sells. They are a RIR x RIW and they always lay as good as my BSL's. Had one lay at 16 weeks old.

I have had both Townline and Murray. I absolutely love the Isa Browns, Murrays are just fine also, but If I had to choose, Isa's all the way. Little more consistant and a little larger egg.

Humm i curious as to why you want sexlinks for a layer, what not something like a RIR or a BO that layes big brown eggs? I got my sexlinks from tsc and our store gets their chicks from mt.healthy

I have one Production Red from the feed store (not sure where they get them). I noticed she is more flighty than my other chickens, but she did lay probably near 360 eggs her first year. However, this year she has slowed down a lot more, so that might be something to think about. Pure breeds would probably lay longer. But I noticed you too were from CA, and I was just curious how your previous shipment from Mcmurray was.

Lots of smaller hatcheries actually buy their eggs from the same producer so you're getting the same bird no matter where you order it from.

Check out Central Hatchery out of Madison, Nebraska. They still keep their own hatching flocks and you can even see pictures of their hatching flocks on their website. They have a wonderful red sex link and also a "red leg" Which is kind of a dirty white bird that lays a light brown egg. They're a nice bird, they are later in starting to lay, but they lay a nice egg when they start and the size is very consistent and they lay in the cold weather as they're a heavier bird. Check them out, just go to: www.centralhatchery.com

It's a father & son operation and that's the whole of it. They're great folks and very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom