Where to Buy Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

spinweaver

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
I need diatomaceous earth for the deep wood chip bedding technique inside the coop, but Tractor Supply just sells the kind for drying horse stalls. I doubt that it is food grade, does it really matter? Where else should I look? I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. Thanks!

I bought mine at an organic milling co-op. You can also order it. This works if you don't need very much. You probably won't. A 50 pound bag of DE is a liitle larger than a 50 pound of dog food. This much should last you a few years.

I looked on line everywhere...found alot, but to ship 50 # to the door was super expensive! Started calling local feed stores...got 50# food grade DE for a little over $9!!!
woot.gif
Was ready to pay $45 shipping..NOT! Look to the little local places who may also be willing to order it for you. Good luck!

Quote:
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/products.php

Check out this site..I have ordered from this site 3 times, and had no problems and he is reasonable. Yes, it does matter what kind of DE you get. On the RedLake DE out of Canada, there is a warning on the label about not feeding it to chickens as it contains bentonite clay. At least I think it's what the warning stated...it has been a long time since I read the bag..as I just stuck it in my shed and stopped using it. I put this permaguard DE in my chickens' feed and sweep it into the floor of their hen houses every couple of weeks. Keeps everything dry and smelly goody along with the pine shavings. Plus, no mites or other insect pests.

You should check at your local garden center in the organic section ,or your local feed mill like a co op . good luck

Hello Spinweaver and welcome to BYC. You will find a lot of useful information here from a lot of helpful people!
I'm straight across the sate from you along I-70 and after searching all of the local farm, garden and hardware centers I finally found food grade Diamtomaceous Earth at the St. Peters Farmers C.O.O.P. That is @ exit 222 on hwy 70 if you what to take a trip a few hours east. I don't remember what I paid but it was not very much for a 50# bag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom