Where to buy low number chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tikkijane, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I am looking to get 6 or fewer chicks that are good egg layers, preferably EEs or Ameraucanas. My TSC won't let me special order anything less than 25, and while I've emailed a hatchery a ways away, I'm wondering if you all have places to recommend?

TIA!

Tikki [​IMG]

2. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.mypetchicken.com/default.aspx

They
    charge a lot for shipping, but you can mix and choose breeds as long as they have the same shipping date in lots as small as three. Some, like silkies, have minimum orders. I have had very good luck with this company.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Are there any other feed stores near you that are having chick days? When we went to the hardware store a few weeks ago there was a hatchery set up and they had several different breeds and no minimum on chicks.

Also Cackle has specials for smaller orders. You have to have at least 5 chicks. Look for the city/town specials or the small order specials http://www.cacklehatchery.com

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    I ordered 6 from Meyer Hatchery. They are coming in June. The shipping was a lot but its worth it because I wanted a specific breeds of chicks. You could also check out your local TSC or feedstore. My TSC has a minimum of six chicks, but it may be more/less depending on where you live. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure where you live.

My local Family Farm and Home store carry those and do not have a minimum limit.

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:x2

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    My Pet chicken gets there chicks from Meyer Hatchery and you'll save ALOT more money ordering from Meyer [​IMG]
    http://meyerhatchery.com/

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I recommend mypetchicken.com also. It claims to ship a very low number, but because my area is remote, I needed to get 8, which was still good for me compared to say, 20. And remember the likelihood of a runt or sickly one or two that may die in transit or soon after arrival. So my 8 became 7, because one did die. The are more expensive than others, but I got excellent and informative customer service who helped me a great deal, and so for me it was worth it. Good luck!

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    N&MSchroeder :

Quote:x2

X 3 Loved ordering with them. Can order as few as 3-5.​

10. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    where