Where to buy Organic Chicken Feed?

You California people are so lucky to have so many choices. How much do you have to pay for organic layer? I get mine from our local cow-share/grass fed/organic dairy, and I am counting my blessings that we have such a thing here, believe me. But it is so expensive! They order if from a supplier in Wisconsin. ($27/50# compared with $11/50# for standard layer crumbles) I called our Purina supplier when I read on here that Purina makes an organic layer in California, hoping they might be able to order something a little more affordable and the person I talked to said "this organic thing is just such a joke" so I guess they won't be offering that anytime soon! My hens go thru almost 50 pounds a week in the wintertime, I'm having a hard time justifying the expense... though I'm still doing it. But it's also has a lot of powdery content that seems to just get wasted, another issue.
GardeNerd, your coop is adorable. I would post my source of organic layer, but I don't think they want to be considered a source to the general public. Thanks for putting that list together, though - I checked out the other Colorado sources - about the same price or more, dang it.

Last edited:
Quote:
When I got initially got my chickens, the closest place selling organic feed I could find on the net was in Goleta. NOTHING ELSE. Period. Everything I could find had to be shipped at a huge cost. I am pretty frugal, so I couldn't justify the expense. I was really frustrated. I spent many hours searching the internet. Modesto Milling didn't have any retailers this far south at the time. O.H. Kruse didn't have a good website until just recently when they made it more user friendly and listed most of their retailers. BYC folks have really helped a lot in the hunt for feed stores. I am sure there are more feed stores in other parts of the country that carry organic chicken feed, the problem is most feed stores don't maintain websites and the ones that do don't list their products individually. That's were other BYCers come in handy. Lots of nice folks keep passing along leads to me to help out others. Thanks everyone!

How much do you have to pay for organic layer?

I pay $25 for a #50 bag organic chicken feed. The conventional poultry feed at the same store is less than half of that.

GardeNerd, your coop is adorable.

Thank you for the compliment! I like it too!​

The cheapest way I have found to buy organic feed in Utah is through Azure Standard or Modesto Milling. I already use Azure Standard to buy my organic food through, so it is convenient for me. MM charges around $22 for a 50 lb. bag and then $22 for shipping. True Foods charges $40 for a 50lb bag and then $33 on top of that for shipping even though I only live less than 20 minutes away! As far as I know, True Foods is only an online retailer, so you must have everything delivered.

I just found a local farmer in Michigan that mixes his own organic feed.

He as chick starter, grower 20% and layer 17%. $17 for 50 lbs.

Ingredients - "Our typical blend is open pollinated corn, oats, spelt, roasted soybean, kelp, calcium and poultry mineral mix. it is blended in a hammer mill/mixer, coarse for larger birds, and finely ground for chicks. All whole grain, minimal processing."

Contact info
John Linck
810-537-1333
8820 Clear Lake Road,
Brown City, MI 48416

We just got ours this weekend but we get it from a person who runs an almost co-op. She orders from a farmer in western nebraska, essentially just over the state line, and he brings the organics over. Delivery is every 6-8 weeks, but if enough people are ordering, and require it more often, she did say she would start making it more regular. her info is

Pat Bury, CEO
High Altitude Organics, Inc
303.277.1691 Phone
720.234.6676 Cell
303-216-2149 Fax
www.highaltitudeorganics.com

a general idea of what they generally offer:
The following Feeds are available for purchase on this order:

Layer Feed 18% Protein .35/pound
Chick Starter 26% Protein .50/pound
Chick Grower 20% Protein .50/pound
Field Peas .50/pound
Alfalfa Pellets 12.00/50# bag
Alfalfa/Grass Pellets 11.00/50# bag
Dried Molasses 25.00/50# bag
Kelp Meal 60.00/50# bag
Diatomaceous Earth 55.00/50# bag
Bagged Layer Feed 30.00/50# bag

They generally have two pickup locations, one in Boulder, CO in the morning and then at their home in Golden colorado that afternoon. The prices are really rather good. We started our chicks on the Purina Sunfresh non medicated feed from Murdochs and a 25# bag was 7 something. So, hers is only about .12 more per #. I'm willing to pay it and apparantly so are others, there was a good number of people lined up for their feed saturday morning
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am in Upstate, NY and Homestead Pet & Farm Supply carries the Green Mountain Organic layer feed.

I have ordered the Organic chick starter & grower through them, they dont stock them, but will order it for you and have it delivered to the store. They carry in stock the adult pellets & crumbles

They get a shipment every 2 weeks for the "baby food". Barbie the owner has been VERY nice & helpful.

3 Railroad St.
New Berlin, NY 13411
607-847-6173

Blue Seal Feeds in NH carries a complete line of organic feed. They have several feed stores across the state and NE region. From chick crumble, grower, and layer (I think broiler too). Well priced. I checked online and there are distributors in many other states. Check their website: www.blueseal.com and you can search to see if they are in your area.

They also have organic feed for other livestock.

Deb

Friendly Haven Rise Farm
20309 NE 242nd Ave.
Venersborg, WA.
360-687-8384
http://www.friendlyhaven.com/
[email protected]

They sell chickens, have weekend seminars/get-a-way's and just generally good people. The story on the feed is pretty simple. It's certified organic, imported from Canada. They have formed a rather loose co-op for buying. We basically let Jacquelin know how many bags we want and she places the order, there's a minimum of three tons but we don't seem to have an issue making the minimum order. Occasionally, but not often, they have extra that people might purchase outside of the standard order. But that's definitely the exception, not the norm.

Back
Top Bottom