Where to buy Organic Chicken Feed?

Quote:
Thanks! I had looked at their website before, and I didn't notice their feed was soy free. I went back and double checked. Your right. There is no soy in their list of ingredients. I will make a note of that on the organic chicken feed page.

I just visited a pet store in Burbank that offers O.H. Kruse organic feed in both 25 lbs and 50 lbs bags....

Centinela Feed & Pet
1505 W Olive Ave
Burbank, CA. 91506
(818) 840-0727

The 25lb bag cost $14.99, the 50 lb bag is about $24.99 (I believe) and don't forget they have weekly coupons in the Sunday LA Times and instore flyers...such as February 12-14 a 20% off coupon for their Valentine's sale.
They are still having their Grand Opening sale for Fancy Feast cat food (.25 cents) per can and 27 lbs Scoop Away for $5.99 each.

Quote:
Thanks! I will update my page.

I have a different Centinela Feed not too far away. Now I am going to have to check it out. I would love to buy feed in a smaller bag rather than try to split someone or try to keep it fresh.

Edited: I went to the Long Beach Centinela Feed Tuesday looking for organic chicken feed, and I was disappointed to discover they only carry chicken scratch, no feed. Oh, well... Midway City isn't that much further to drive.

Last edited:
I have two more for the Los Angeles Area and added them to the page. Thanks, and keep sending me more, please.

Damoor's Feed & Tack (Organic Pride)
1532 Riverside Drive
Glendale, CA 91201-2909
242-2841

Malibu Feed Bin (Modesto Milling)
3931 Topanga Canyon Blvd
Malibu, CA 90265
Phone : (310) 456-2043.

Last edited:
so I'm just starting out and want a good organic feed. O H Kruse has discontinued the organic scratch and lay mash. and only offers the organic lay pellets and organic starter.
Any other suggestions?
Thank you!!

Quote:
Are you in SoCal?
If you are looking for a different brand, the two others I am aware of that are available around here in the L.A. area are Organic Pride and Modesto Milling. I have only found Modesto Milling at Malibu Feed bin and Island Seed and Feed in Goleta. If you call around the places on the linked list, you can find lots of places that carry Organic Pride. There are also recipes if you want to make your own feed. Organic feed brands are kind of regional, unless you pay to have them shipped. Around the L.A. area we are lucky to have three to choose.

When I called to verify that Damoor's Feed & Tack carried organic chicken feed, they did mention other organic products they carried for chickens. I didn't write them down unfortunately, just the Organic pride in my notes. Sorry.

I don't feed my hens scratch, so instead, one of the quick treats I give them is organic oatmeal from Trader Joes. Other than that, they get lots of organic fruit and veggies from my garden and kitchen left overs.

If you can not find what you are looking for, and you want a mash form, you can try running the pellets through a blender.

Last edited:
hey gardennerd!

We'll have to meet sometime!

I was wondering if you've ever tried midway's other organic layer feed the one he says is made by purina (but it's not called layena) I've been using the kruse crumble but wanted to see if there is something more "clumpy" or pellet-y It seems to powder up and they don't eat the powder...
- Tiny in Lakewood
wink.png

Higley Feed in Higley, Arizona (Phoenix area) has OH Kruise Lay pellets for 22.50
They say they will order other organics (starter, etc.) for you but I don't know how much.

edited to add webpage:
http://www.higleyfeedstore.com/

Thanks, Beckyhsinglsc! I updated the page. I am delighted to finally have an Arizona listing!

Quote:
Hey neighbor!

Yeah, I bought the organic pride brand one time, when the pullets first started laying. My girls ate it the organic pride and I had no complaints. But when I got home and realized how far away it was milled, I decided to continue to buy from the closer mill, O.H. Kruse. One time I bought pellets from O.H. Kruse at Midway City, but they haven't had them since. It doesn't bother me, however, because my hens refused to eat them. I ended up having to put it through a food processor. If they had no forage in the yard, they might have gotten hungrey enough to eat the pellets, but it just sat there. I gave in.​

Back
Top Bottom