Where to find the SOP?

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Is there a special place to find a breeds SOP I cant find it on the internet. Anyone have links?

I could only find the wyandottes.

Im looking for the standard of perfection for the leghorn, speckled sussex and barred rock. Ive spent close to an HOUR trying to find them and havent found anything
he.gif

Thanks for any help

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

There ya go! $10. You can order the book. Includes breeds accepted and for those which the APA has standards written, I presume.
That is for shipping, not the book. The information is copyrighted, and large chunks of it cannot be copied or distributed without violating the law. Small portions may be copied for individual use in accordance with copyright law. Providing the standards for multiple breeds would certainly be a violation. Even the breed clubs are not granted permission to provide complete information for a breed and all its varieties. Most provide as much as is allowed and no more.

Yes, if you are going to compete successfully, you need a copy of the standard. Old editions are usually much less expensive, and breeders/exhibitors will often give away older editions to deserving kids that cannot afford the $$. 4H or FFA organizations could purchase one copy for use by multiple kids.

If you were raising bantam breeds only, you could opt for the Bantam Standard instead.

That is for shipping, not the book. The information is copyrighted, and large chunks of it cannot be copied or distributed without violating the law. Small portions may be copied for individual use in accordance with copyright law. Providing the standards for multiple breeds would certainly be a violation. Even the breed clubs are not granted permission to provide complete information for a breed and all its varieties. Most provide as much as is allowed and no more.

Yes, if you are going to compete successfully, you need a copy of the standard. Old editions are usually much less expensive, and breeders/exhibitors will often give away older editions to deserving kids that cannot afford the $$. 4H or FFA organizations could purchase one copy for use by multiple kids.

If you were raising bantam breeds only, you could opt for the Bantam Standard instead.

Very good information, indeed. Thank you very much. I hope the OP understand better why those passages were not, or should not, be available on the web. Thanks again.

If you are only 14, I agree with Sonoran, try to find an older version of the book for low or no cost. A lot of times the breed club websites have the standards, or at least the disqualifications and accepted colors on their websites.

My girls, at 11 and 8 just had their first show and we did NOT have a copy of the book beforehand and even at their young age, they suffered for it. If you plan on doing this for a while, I suggest investing in a copy.

Check EBAY or American Book Exchange websites for less expensive, older editions.

ETA: If you plan to show a copy of the Standard is essential

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom