Where to get antibiotics for chicks?

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
I have a dozen chicks and one of them seems to have a bad respiratory infection (acting sick, eyes swollen shut). I isolated her and cleaned the enclosure, but I'm guessing they've all been exposed. Is it still possible to obtain poultry antibiotics over the counter in the USA? I remember something about fish antibiotics being taken off shelves because people were taking them, and I can't find them in any stores. Is there anything I can do for my short of taking them to the vet? I'm not terribly keen on a big vet bill for chicks that might not make it regardless.

That and there is no guarantee the problem is bacterial. It could very easily be viral or fungal and antibiotics won't help that.
Respiratory infections aren't very common in chicks. Where would they get it?
Antibiotics, if warranted, would likely need to be acquired online.
If a chick were to die, sending it to your state poultry lab would be the best approach. That is the only way to know what you are dealing with. What state are you in?
IMHO, medicating without knowing what you are treating is a waste of money and time.

That and there is no guarantee the problem is bacterial. It could very easily be viral or fungal and antibiotics won't help that.
Respiratory infections aren't very common in chicks. Where would they get it?
Antibiotics, if warranted, would likely need to be acquired online.
If a chick were to die, sending it to your state poultry lab would be the best approach. That is the only way to know what you are dealing with. What state are you in?
IMHO, medicating without knowing what you are treating is a waste of money and time.

I’m in Utah. Whatever it is, the chick’s eyes are swollen shut and it’s acting very sick. My guess was coryza based on googling the symptoms. The chicks are in a shed in a crate that had been outside, it’s far from sterile.

Back
Top Bottom