Where would I 'donate' an unwanted class pet?

BanannaChick

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2017
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My teachers (or rather their higher ups) have decided to begin giving class pets to the biology teachers. Unfortunately, they didn't tell the teachers that we'd be growing whole a*s chickens as a class. In a New York City school. Once the year is over, the teachers are expected to take care of the chicken, or take care of the chicken. Obviously, there's a moral dilemma here. The teacher doesn't have the means to take care of a chicken, but she doesn't want to off it. We don't get the eggs until next year, as that's when the class pet stuff will start (and when I will be in bio. The teacher is just a favorite of mine). She's thinking about donating it (them????) to some city farm, but nobody has any clue how or where to do that. Any recs on what she could do? The only out of the question options are kill them (or send them somewhere to be killed) or keep them (she simply doesn't have the means to).

My school did something similar in the Bronx, and it took me a bit of time to find anyone willing to take the pair of chickens I had and raised. I would definitely mention to the higher ups your concerns and hopefully they will stop the program moving forward.

I can let you know right off the bat that most sanctuaries within driving distances from NYC will not take the chickens. I have inquired at almost all of them and have only found one that is willing to take them.

You can post on here at the rehoming forum and someone local may be open to taking them, but it’ll be hard to rest assured exactly what their intentions are with the chickens.

If you’re interested, you can message me and I can share with you more information and the sanctuary that I found that is accepting chickens at the moment.

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

My teachers (or rather their higher ups) have decided to begin giving class pets to the biology teachers. Unfortunately, they didn't tell the teachers that we'd be growing whole a*s chickens as a class. In a New York City school. Once the year is over, the teachers are expected to take care of the chicken, or take care of the chicken. Obviously, there's a moral dilemma here. The teacher doesn't have the means to take care of a chicken, but she doesn't want to off it. We don't get the eggs until next year, as that's when the class pet stuff will start (and when I will be in bio. The teacher is just a favorite of mine). She's thinking about donating it (them????) to some city farm, but nobody has any clue how or where to do that. Any recs on what she could do? The only out of the question options are kill them (or send them somewhere to be killed) or keep them (she simply doesn't have the means to).
Please post this on your state thread. Maybe a member of BYC will adopt them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/

Back
Top Bottom