Which are the rare breeds in highest demand now? Which ones will still maintain a high price tag in

I got a chuckle out of this post.
Insight to how your brain works.
First how do you know we aren't successful?
And what is successful?
I know you believe successful means making money and since we have both told you there isnt money in chickens then we must ourselves never been able to make money so we have failed at success.
I really liked Ravyns reply post. You could see how they struggled with the question. Not because they were trying to unravel the mistakes they may have made along the way but for the same reason I wondered how to answer your question. What is success? Theres so many answers besides money. How exactly would someone measure success?
I feel ive almost always been successful with chickens. Sometimes not, sometimes at least small success other times pretty d*mn successful. Thing is does it really matter? And to who? Me, you, everyone? I'll always pick happiness over success.
Just like the whole reputation thing. I dont believe in the whole buy from a reputable breeder idea. Who decides who's reputable? You can do everything right and be known as a reputable breeder or not be known at all.
I have bought from "reputable breeders" who really werent good people. I have bought good birds from people that had no reputation. No one had ever heard of them.
People piggy back off other peoples reputation. We've all seen ads for "bev davis" marans or countless "GFFs line". People ruin others reputation by breeding junk 5 or 6 generations from the source and still tagging them a breeders name and reputation.
I try to buy good birds from good people. I like to see for myself instead of relying on others to tell me.Back to you success curiosity.
Ive been successful. I used to raise and show bantams. I did really well and ended up being quite well known at least locally. I even sold a lot of birds and made some money. I bought a used car once from chicken money.
Your dream...fame and fortune huh.
Let me tell you the more successful I became the least successful I felt. The better you become at anything the more some people will dislike you for it. It got to the point I had people asking me if I could quit showing up to shows so that others could win. I had people buy my birds then turn around and tell everyone they were their line and not related to mine. Finally with all the success I was having I got out of chickens for about five years.
About two months ago I picked up a trio of coronation sussex. Decent birds that I got for a steal of a price. The hens I was told were 4 years old and hardly ever laying. They did start laying and only about 1 egg each per week. Ive hatched 5 chicks now and a few eggs still in tbe incubator.
I feel pretty successful with them so far. Funny I feel successful when I havent really did anything with them except be at the right place at the right time and put some eggs in the incubator.
Rare breeds. Yes I raise rare breeds. Mostly just leghorns in rare colors. I feel really successful with them. I have several varieties. More then most. Ive started with some poor examples and worked with some for 5 or 6 years and made some real progress.
Now im into creating or recreating other colors and patterns using the various ones I have. Im having a lot of fun and feel successful with that. Successful with them in your terms? Not so much. Leghorns have always been I breed ive loved but not so much the rest of the world. Not many like the white eggs and even more dont like that theyre known asbeing flighty. I know i'll never get rich raising them but it doesnt matter. I dont even try.
So as I see it the times that you see as me not being successful have probably been my most successful and what you would consider being successful have been my lowest.
I think your question should of been your same old question.
Help me make money and tell me what you would of done different so you could be rich now.
I appreciate you telling me about how you have become successful. I agree with you, you have been successful. Even with the coronation sussex, you managed to get them to lay, when others could not. That is a feat. You have had all of this success, and so much success, that you have experienced the curse of success. Naysayers and haters trying to break you down, because you have had luck, and with that luck lots of hours and patience that you put into work. I once heard a quote that I am going to butcher, luck happens when you work your butt off. Doors open, when you put yourself in those positions.

I never try to act when I am frustrated, and I regretted my actions when eloquently implied that you were failures. I was frustrated, by the heckling at my plans I have taken perhaps too personally.

My favorite book in the world states that the best way to success, is through sincerity and honesty. Without those things, nobody can trust you, and you will be left with out allies. They are also great business mottos to live by, as so many people here have stated the value of that in continued business. If you want some advice on how to be rich now, continue to live by the philosophy that you have lived by. Be honest in your business practices, and continue working hard.

I have read about wyndottes, and I like the breed. I looked up the salmon wyndottes, and they appear to be only available in the UK. I read the top of a salmon gene project in chickens in how the breed is made, however it long confusing genetic information that I would have to take some time to learn about before I could even understand the article. It was very scientific. However I think the hybrid could be produced here without importation from Britain, which would keep the costs down significantly. I am going to research this more fully at a future date. Thank you for your input. Whoever follows through with that project should see some reputation, and perhaps some coin too.

Thank you.

I have read about wyndottes, and I like the breed. I looked up the salmon wyndottes, and they appear to be only available in the UK. I read the top of a salmon gene project in chickens in how the breed is made, however it long confusing genetic information that I would have to take some time to learn about before I could even understand the article. It was very scientific. However I think the hybrid could be produced here without importation from Britain, which would keep the costs down significantly. I am going to research this more fully at a future date. Thank you for your input. Whoever follows through with that project should see some reputation, and perhaps some coin too.

Thank you.
To create a Salmon Wyandotte, you are looking at a minimum of 5 years before you could be at the point that you could start selling them.

By Salmon, do you mean wild type? It is hard to obtain because it needs winnowed out from all the other colors. you have to get rid of all the other colors and modifiers in order to get it. that's why it's so hard to create in a breed.
Karen

Last edited:
By Salmon, do you mean wild type? It is hard to obtain because it needs winnowed out from all the other colors. you have to get rid of all the other colors and modifiers in order to get it. that's why it's so hard to create in a breed.
Karen
They mean the Faverolle coloration, which is probably what you mean by wild type. The Salmon Wyandottes referenced are this trio:

Looking at them they are very "white" to be Salmons, I think they're probably Silver Wheaten.

How much experience do you have in breeding chickens?
I did not do the math, nor do I know much about genetics of chickens, so I had no idea how long it would take to reach the salmon coloration. I stated that. Nor have I attempted to import a sample of a breed from a country, so I do not know how much it would cost. I did state however, that there is potential that it could go either way. "Could"

To answer your question directly, I have never bred a chicken in my life. Two months ago, I did not know chickens slept on roosts. I have lived in major metropolitan areas nearly all of my life. I think the first time I saw a living chicken, one that I paid attention to at least , up close, was a couple months ago. I am not exactly sure why you are asking that question, I have made no attempts to cover up that I am new at this.

They mean the Faverolle coloration, which is probably what you mean by wild type. The Salmon Wyandottes referenced are this trio: Looking at them they are very "white" to be Salmons, I think they're probably Silver Wheaten.
_-------- No. These Faverolles are not wildtype which is also known as Black Breasted Red. Best, Karen

Hi, documentedpure,
we're just trying to figure out how much experience you have chickens so we know how to help.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom