Which birds are okay to be toegther??

AGG

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2018
Im moving next week and im getting a new aviary and more birds. I want to get a mixture of species but i dont know who's okay with who. I want to get some quails, budgies, a couple of diamond doves, and the zebra finches i already have.

I believe the only one you need to watch is the budgies. They can bully other species and can even bite off toes, they are best kept by themselves. I have never tried keeping them with others species. I have kept various finch species together without problems.

Zebra finches can be quite aggressive and I have read that they will pluck diamond doves. They can be kept with budgies though if they have lots of space as they share the same habitat in the Aussie outback. If you are going to let your birds breed you may have to keep an eye on them to ensure no finches are being bullied as budgies are aggressive when breeding. They should be fine with quail in the bottom of the aviary though.

Doves need very gentle cage mates such as bourkes, turquoisines and passive finches. Here's a good finch compatibility chart:
http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/compatible_species.php

Zebra finches can be quite aggressive and I have read that they will pluck diamond doves. They can be kept with budgies though if they have lots of space as they share the same habitat in the Aussie outback. If you are going to let your birds breed you may have to keep an eye on them to ensure no finches are being bullied as budgies are aggressive when breeding. They should be fine with quail in the bottom of the aviary though.

Doves need very gentle cage mates such as bourkes, turquoisines and passive finches. Here's a good finch compatibility chart:
http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/compatible_species.php

Some people house budgies with Zebs fine but if you get budgies go for two older male English budgies. DO NOT buy female budgies, they will surely kill your Zebs. Especially Australians. I find Zebs fine. And diamond doves are big enough to look after themselves. You could also consider getting a canary or two. I would honestly recommend cockatiels over budgies as they are less agreesive than budgies.

As for turquosines watch out if you have a pair! I’d recommend 2 female Turks if you do go for Turks otherwise bourkes parakeets may be a better choice. (Although Turks are just gorgeous!)

Back
Top Bottom