Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Pro Stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Junction

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Agrimaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm still looking for the perfect food. I started mine on Purina organic, they seemed healthy and ok but I had a couple of shell less eggs, even with layer feed and free choice oyster shell. I've never been a fan of purina dog and cat foods, so I thought I'd try something else. I wanted to stay organic, so that limits my choices. So I tried Dumor. The girls LOVED it, BUT I have had diarrhea happening off and on all summer. At first, I thought it was the heat, and they were drinking a lot. Now it's cooled off some, and still having issues. Treated with corid for 5 days to be safe, and gave probiotics, some improvement, but not gone. Starting to think it's the food. Probably going back to purina for the time being.

[QUOTE="Okay, I'll put it down! How long have you been feeding them this brand of feed? Have you ever bought anything different?[/QUOTE]
I want to say a year but not completely sure as my dad was the one who started buying it. I'll ask him later when he gets home from work. We used to buy Purina I think? But decided to switch to something more organic, no offense to anyone who stills buys it.

Do the roosters and/or young pullets eat it? That's the only reason I've been hesitant about putting a bowl out.

Okay, I'll put it down! How long have you been feeding them this brand of feed? Have you ever bought anything different?
Anyone can eat the oyster shells. I don't mind a bird choosing to eat oyster shells. It different than it being in the feed in a higher amount like it in a layer, and not having a choice. I personally haven't seen roosters or chicks eating it, but I often don't see the hens eating it either, but they do.

Do you always keep their feed out? I just throw them a few handfuls of layer feed when I let them out at dawn, and I fill their feeder with a bucketful of layer feed at dusk. They free range in between feeding hours ;)
My birds are completely free range. I still give them as much feed as they want. I think restricting feed could cause problems with gorging. A chicken will a pick ranging over eating a ration most times, so by restricting access to feed I don't believe helps anything. My birds consume about half as much feed in warmer weather that they do in winter.

Do the roosters and/or young pullets eat it? That's the only reason I've been hesitant about putting a bowl out.

Okay, I'll put it down! How long have you been feeding them this brand of feed? Have you ever bought anything different?
No, they don't. I actually feed starter/grower/all flock to my mixed flock of ducks, cockerels, hens, pullets, cocks, turkey, and feed egg shells to the side. The young birds have tried it, but only the layers eat it.

My birds are completely free range. I still give them as much feed as they want. I think restricting feed could cause problems with gorging. A chicken will a pick ranging over eating a ration most times, so by restricting access to feed I don't believe helps anything. My birds consume about half as much feed in warmer weather that they do in winter.
I do the same as well. My adult Call ducks consume almost zero feed during the summer months.

Which feed brand do you all buy? I'm just curious. I've been buying Purina's Layena crumbles for 2 years and my chickens are healthier than they've ever been. I feed them in the mornings and in the evenings, and they devour it! So, what brand do you all buy? If I've left any brand out, just let me know!

DuMOR
Producers Pride
Purina
Nature Wise
Nature's Best
Manna Pro
Blue Seal
Eggland's Best
Farmers' Helper
Kent
Healthy Harvest
Sprout
Scratch and Peck
Country Junction
Pro Stock
Agrimaster
I prefer M-G brand feeds because it is local, to me.
I have compiled a list of brand names here, I think there are over 70 brand names listed that BYCers have mentioned they use.

Back
Top Bottom