which breed lays coloured eggs

calliescluckers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
WHAT BREED OF CHICKEN LAYS A LOT OF EGGS, THAT ARE COLOURED... OTHER THAN BROWN OR WHITE?

looking to add some colour to our egg cartons!

Favaucanas (Faverolles and Ameraucana designer cross) and Cream Legbars.

Oh, dear, I just looked up availability on the Favaucanas at my pet chicken and they are $20! each for straight run. Really? Okay, that's fine. I get it. I wasn't expecting that price at all. Cream Legbars are running over double that, partially because they were imported. It looks like as of this minute there are a few Blue Favaucanas available on May 19.

Last edited:
Blue eggs - Ameraucana, Araucana, Cream Legbar, UofA Superblues

Green eggs - Isbar, most ducks

Multiple egg colors - Easter Eggers (a mutt "breed" that lays everything from pink, to green, to blue)

Some people have created mutts that they call "olive eggers" which combine a blue egg laying breed and a dark brown egg laying breed and produce olive green eggs.

Cayuga ducks start the season laying an almost black egg that turns bluish-offwhite as the laying season goes on.

I'm in canada so can't order from my pet chicken. But I would love to get some blue eggers. Do they lay as well as other more common breeds... Say RIR or barred rocks?

I'm in canada so can't order from my pet chicken. But I would love to get some blue eggers. Do they lay as well as other more common breeds... Say RIR or barred rocks?

If you're ordering from a hatchery or a feed store they will all lay the same. There might be some differences if it was the real thing, that's a whole other topic.

If you're ordering from a hatchery or a feed store they will all lay the same.  There might be some differences if it was the real thing, that's a whole other topic.

Are you saying the chickens from the hatchery will all lay worse than their "heritage" equivalents, or are they bred out so as to be a "standard" bird?

Are you saying the chickens from the hatchery will all lay worse than their "heritage" equivalents, or are they bred out so as to be a "standard" bird?

I'm saying hatchery birds are all bred to be the same so they will all lay well and the only differences left are some feather colors and egg colors. They are not good representations of the breed they are supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom