Which cookbook could you absolutely not live without?

The Chicken Lady

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 21, 2008
West Michigan
Please share the title and why you love it. I'm looking for good ones to add to my collection.
smile.png

My favorites are the Taste of Home series. I get the magazine and at the end of the year they combine it all into a book.

I love Todd Wilbur's recipe books. He does the Top Secret Recipe books. He figures out how to duplicate a famous recipe and publishes it
wink.png
I love the Sara Lee Cheesecake, Orange Julius and Boston Market Meatloaf
droolin.gif

I also must have an old, old, old, old Betty Crocker cookbook for good down home cookin'

There really is only one cookbook isnt there? The Joy of Cooking. Anything else is just a collection of Recipes.

If you already have the Joy of Cooking, one that I like is:

The Silver Palate Coookbook

Not super long but fabulous recipes...I Love Love Chicken Marbella

Another interesting one is:

Silver Spoon Cookbook

1300 pages and first published in the 50s, this is to Italy as the Joy of cooking is to USA. A real Bargain you can probably get a copy for around $18.00

The New Best Recipe From the editors of Cooks Illustrated magazine.

It's a hefty 1026 pages, but they have tested each recipe many times to get what they consider the best and frequently easiest way to do it. Very clear and concise.

They also have a PBS show called America's Test Kitchen.

And I have 4 of The Joy of Cooking cookbooks. 1943, 1953, 1973 and 1997. All with splattered pages, and recipes written inside the covers by my mother and grandmother. Treasures!

Two cook books I love as they have all the basic recipe's I could ever want to make are:

Better Homes and Garden New cook book
they have a Canadian and USA version.lol I own both!)
Purity New Cookbook
( a complete Book of Canadian Cooking, I have actually worn one out and am on book two ...lol)

I also have a cook book series, that is great for entertaining. it has more unique recipes that are wonderfully flavorful.

The Best of Bridge Cookbook
(it's a CANADIAN series)

Yes I am CANADIAN ...lol But they are also wonderful books I do not think I would live without, if given the choice.

ALL ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Eating Well In Season. Just came out recently, it is set so you can eat seasonally with the farmer's markets. All of the recipes I've tried so far are really good!! I actually ended up buying the book because I would have ended up photocopying the whole thing because there was that many great recipes. That being said, another fun idea is getting recipe books from the library, copying what you like and making a binder, as most books usually only have a couple spectacular ones.

Mary berrys complete cookbook, she was there before Deliah...her book taught me how to cook!

Or

Savoring India: Recipes and Reflections on Indian Cooking (Williams-Sonoma: The Savoring Series) by Julie Sahni

Best Curries ever...

Or

The Game Cookbook by Clarissa Wright. amazing recipes ranging through history and cuisine...best game book yummy.

Back
Top Bottom