Which is worse: humidity too high or too low

Bertram

In the timeout corner
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2023
I was wondering what would be worse for incubating chickens, having the humidity too high or having it too low. I know that they both present there share of problems but I didn't know if one was worse than the other. Right now my humidity is around 68-73% and I didn't know if I should try to get it higher or lower.

Whether too high or to low is "worse" depends on what stage the eggs are at.
When the chicks are actually hatching, too high is better than too low.

During the rest of incubation, too low is probably better than too high (I think it's harder to get the humidity low enough to be really dangerous, unless you live somewhere really dry like a desert.)

That is about right for when the chicks are hatching. So if your chicks are due to hatch in the next 4 days or so, leave it alone.

It is too high for the rest of incubation. If the eggs have more than about 4 days left, you should probably try to get the humidity lower.

But all of that is assuming that your humidity gauge is accurate. The right air cell size is more important than the "right" humidity reading. The usual advice for humidity is based on trying to keep the air cell right. (It gets bigger as incubation goes on, and it gets bigger at different speeds depending on the humidity.)

You can candle the eggs and check the size of the air cell. There are images available showing how big it should be at day 7, 14, and 18. Here is a thread that has one of those images: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...look-like-at-diff-stages.290577/#post-3539604

Back
Top Bottom