Which Marans lay the darkest eggs?

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I am hoping to order son Marans this summer, but I want tot get the darkest eggs I possibly can.

I know Cuckoo Maran lay some of the lightest eggs, but I'm hoping someone can give me a list of darkest to lightest

Its not so much the color of the birds but the bloodline they are from. You would need to buy into a good bloodline know for and proven to produce dark eggs. Find a breeder that has been breeding and/or showing for a number of years. This will likely get you the best stock, and the darkest eggs. It will likely cost you more in the beginning but you will be much happier in the end.

Last edited:
I agree, in general BC Marans probably do lay the darkest on average. Most likely due to it is the most common/bred/worked with breed.

I have two 9 week old BCM's, one I'm almost positive is a little man. (I call my hens little girls). He has a comb and waddle and the other one doesn't, so I'm assuming a male. Sad I can't keep him... Not allowed in our city limits, and I'm pretty new and shouldn't have a rooster anyway. I would love another BCM hen of the same age. Is there anyone in Central Oregon (Bend, Redmond) that breeds them? I'm sending the little guy to Wilsonville to his forever home.

Back
Top Bottom