Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Which one?

• Wyandotte

Votes: 38 7.0%
  • Salmon Faverolle

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 75 13.9%
  • Sultan

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Orpington

Votes: 179 33.1%
  • Australope

Votes: 47 8.7%
  • Sussex

Votes: 30 5.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 36 6.7%
  • Cochin

Votes: 65 12.0%
  • Maran

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters
I have had easter eggers and red stars for a year and a half and by far the red stars are the friendliest. They aren't lap pets but they follow me around and eat out of my hand. One knocks on the patio door in the morning telling me I haven't given them a treat yet. I had 1 out of 3 easter eggers that was quiet. She knocked on the patio door too and actually came in the house once before we could get the door shut. Hoping my new australorps are quiet as adults and friendly. So far they jump up on my hand at 5 days old.

I loveeee buff orpgingtions. I have one named Cheese (hence the username) Who is such a sweetheart. <3
love.gif

I have a number of breeds (Cochin, Creveceour, Various Polish, Leghorn, Barred Rock, Americauna, Old English Bantam, Naked Neck, Buff Brahma Rooster, as well as chicks in Black Copper Maran, Cuckoo Maran, Speckled Sussex, & Jersey Giant) but may absolute favorite chicken is the rooster in my profile picture. He is a White Crested Blue Polish named Moppet who is about 5 months old. He follows me around everywhere and he even raises a ruckus if I walk away and leave him for a minute. When he is out free ranging he wants to be right by me and loves to be picked up and carried around. He flies up in my lap when I am sitting and is such a pet. I don't know if all White Crested Blue Polish are like this because I ended up with him in a batch of straight run crested from a hatchery. My Silver Laced Polish are more skittish and one of my Black Crested White Polish Roosters is alot more aggressive towards me than the other. My other favorites are my Old English Bantams. My rooster, Napoleaon, loves to be carries around although he doesn't seek me out like Moppet. The Naked Necks are more independent and my Cochins are shy girls.

I love all of these breeds- I'm getting a Sultan in the spring, and a BLRW. I love my Polish, she was flighty as a chick but now jumps on my knee whenever I offer treats and is an affectionate, dainty girl.

ETA I was thinking about Marans too but I have very limited space.

I have 1 BLRW roo and 3 BLRW hens. They lay the biggest eggs I've ever seen. Beautiful birds too!

-My EE's are the most friendly, they like to be pet and are very sweet. I am always surprised when I hear about mean EE's since mine are so wonderful. They were not on my chicken wishlist but my boyfriend said that they were his favorite kind of chicken and with those fluffy little baby chipmunk cheeks and stripes, they quickly won me over! They're adults now and I love them even more. I can wrap one of them up in a towel and snuggle her while I watch a movie, she'll fall asleep in my arms, just adorable!

-My Barred Rocks are always squatting for me and they too accept petting without running away. They are all around great birds, I have nothing bad to say about them.

-The Birchin Cochin Bantams were my favorites, they use to run up to me whenever I went outside but now they hang out with my Golden Laced Cochin Bantam Rooster and he tries to keep his distance but is friendly and mellow once caught. The Birchin Cochin Bantams are too. They run from me now but once caught they're fine and don't fuss or try to get away. I think they think that they're too cool for me now that they're in their teenage years
roll.png

-My Silver Laced Polish is friendly and sweet but very skittish, I'm going to get one or two more in the spring so he/she isn't the only one. I still haven't figured out his/her gender, lol, but I think it would be better for him/her if she/he had some others of the same breed around for support. Wembley is his/her name, I love that bird; full of personality!

-My Barred Cochin Bantam is somewhat aloof, not mean, not lovey, just neutral.

-Last but not least are my Buff Orpingtons. I am always surprised how much people love them. Mine pick on the other smaller birds. They pulled all the tail feathers off of my EE's and pecked a quarter sized HOLE in the back of on of my EE's, then another one right next to her vent. She has healed but I can tell that it still hurts her when she poops
hit.gif
I'm not sure she'll ever lay eggs. It took a lot of effort, isolation, treats, distractions, and Rooster Booster to get them to stop hurting my other birds. My Orpigntons are fine with me but they don't match the description I hear from other people. I am keeping the BO's that I have but I'm not going to get any more after this.

- I am picking up a Black Silkie Rooster tonight, I am very excited, I can't wait!!!!
wee.gif
Now we'll have to see what kind of personality he has...

Well, my black sex links are not on the voting poll! I dont know if its the breed or just the chicken, but I have 1 black sex link hen that follows me everywhere with or without food! Inquisitive and loves to be held. Sarah is by far my favorite out of 20 hens. I have 5 breeds.

My Speckled Sussex is the most friendly of my flock followed by my Blue Andalusion and then my Easter Eggers. They all love to be held and come when called. My Wyandotte, Barred Rock and Orpington will allow handling, but don't reallly like it and my Australorp and White Rock don't like to be touched and squawk when they are. None are people aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom