Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StarLover21, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Wyandotte

38 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Salmon Faverolle

35 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Easter Egger

75 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Sultan

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Orpington

179 vote(s)
    33.1%
  6. Australope

47 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Sussex

30 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Polish

36 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Cochin

65 vote(s)
    12.0%
  10. Maran

30 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i vote for polish, i have one that follows my evert move, if i dont pick her up she pecks my feet untill i do.she is one from shipped eggs, i dont remember who i got them from but she is pure black, crest and all

2. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i vote for polish, i have one that follows my every move, if i dont pick her up she pecks my feet untill i do.she is one from shipped eggs, i dont remember who i got them from but she is pure black, crest and all

3. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    My Polish girl is my favorite but my Orpington girls are the friendliest.

4. annabell254

annabell254 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2012
    south Ga
    My EE roo and Sussex girls are the best!!!!

5. BigRooNTN

BigRooNTN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    East Tennessee area
    I am just starting my back yard hen house and I live in a sub-division and want to hold the noise down to the bare minimum. Are the Orphinton's a quiet breed. From all I can read they are very docile and got other traits. I dont want to alert my neighbors to the fact that I have chickens. They will be in a coop (obviously) and have a nice roomy run.

Thanks

6. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    well friendly and favourite are two different things and with so many breeds I cant just pick one

7. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Anybody know of a breeder of welsummers in central new york?

8. jardog1820

jardog1820 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Lakewood Colorado
    My Orpington (Honey) is my favorite but my Ameraucana Roo (Roscoe) is a close 2nd which says a lot.

9. jardog1820

jardog1820 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Lakewood Colorado
    Orpingtons are listed as a quiet breed, but mine are the loudest in my flock. My Partridge Plymouth Rocks are my quietest followed by my Austra Whites. My point I guess is that even if it's a quiet breed, chickens are as individual as you and me. Your best bet is if you can get info from the breeder on the chicks parents.

10. chickengarden

chickengarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    I have all feed store birds. Two Rhode Island Reds (actually Production Reds), two Black Australorps, four Easter Eggers, three Plymouth Barred Rocks, four Buff Orpingtons, and one Silver Laced Wyandotte. I got them all as day old chicks. The most friendly have been the Barred Rocks.

The most skittish is one of the EEs and the SLW.

The ones that are first to greet us are the Australorps but that is, I think, because they are at the top of the pecking order. Incidentally, the skittish EE and SLW are at the bottom of the pecking order. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by