Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Which one?

• Wyandotte

Votes: 38 7.0%
  • Salmon Faverolle

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 75 13.9%
  • Sultan

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Orpington

Votes: 179 33.1%
  • Australope

Votes: 47 8.7%
  • Sussex

Votes: 30 5.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 36 6.7%
  • Cochin

Votes: 65 12.0%
  • Maran

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters
i vote for polish, i have one that follows my evert move, if i dont pick her up she pecks my feet untill i do.she is one from shipped eggs, i dont remember who i got them from but she is pure black, crest and all

i vote for polish, i have one that follows my every move, if i dont pick her up she pecks my feet untill i do.she is one from shipped eggs, i dont remember who i got them from but she is pure black, crest and all

I am just starting my back yard hen house and I live in a sub-division and want to hold the noise down to the bare minimum. Are the Orphinton's a quiet breed. From all I can read they are very docile and got other traits. I dont want to alert my neighbors to the fact that I have chickens. They will be in a coop (obviously) and have a nice roomy run.

Thanks

I am just starting my back yard hen house and I live in a sub-division and want to hold the noise down to the bare minimum. Are the Orphinton's a quiet breed. From all I can read they are very docile and got other traits. I dont want to alert my neighbors to the fact that I have chickens. They will be in a coop (obviously) and have a nice roomy run.

Thanks
Orpingtons are listed as a quiet breed, but mine are the loudest in my flock. My Partridge Plymouth Rocks are my quietest followed by my Austra Whites. My point I guess is that even if it's a quiet breed, chickens are as individual as you and me. Your best bet is if you can get info from the breeder on the chicks parents.

I have all feed store birds. Two Rhode Island Reds (actually Production Reds), two Black Australorps, four Easter Eggers, three Plymouth Barred Rocks, four Buff Orpingtons, and one Silver Laced Wyandotte. I got them all as day old chicks. The most friendly have been the Barred Rocks.

The most skittish is one of the EEs and the SLW.

The ones that are first to greet us are the Australorps but that is, I think, because they are at the top of the pecking order. Incidentally, the skittish EE and SLW are at the bottom of the pecking order. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom