Which one would you choose??

Quote:
I sure would not want to! Regardless....IMO it is not really the breed of chickens fault it's egg tastes and looks so bad. The egg tastes and looks so bad because of the feed, and in the case of the eggs on the right in the above picture they look so bad because they are old old old also...
sickbyc.gif

ON

Sad isn't it. The thought of having to buy store bought eggs that you know have been laying around for 4-6 weeks prior to be put on the shelf... I sell my free range all natural eggs at the market and had a lady I gave a free dozen too to see if she would come back. Well, she ate them told me they were the best ever and then asked how much I was charging, already knowing the price from the day I gave the free ones. My prices don't change! I told her $4.00 per dozen and she said ahhh well I can go to the store and buy them onsale for $.99 right now will you match that? I said no way, It cost me about that to put in a carton, add my weekly new letter about what the hens are eating and doing that week, and I put a straw ribbon on it. Not to mention I have to buy ice every week to keep them at 40 degree's. Ahh let's see I haven't even added in the feed yet. SOme ppl are just soooo annoying!!!
barnie.gif

Unfortunately that's the food system we live in, big farms far from the people they feed, so the progression is farm-inspection-packaging-transport-warehouse-teansport-warehouse-store. Depressing.

Hey! You're all making me jealous because I'm still eating those 3-month old store-bought eggs! My pullets are only 8 weeks old so I have some time before I taste those farm-fresh eggs!!!
lol.png

I'm known around here as the "egg snob." I hate it when I have to go buy grocery store eggs because we've eaten up our "yard eggs." Nothing compares to backyard eggs. I like to crack the pale store bought ones next to my deep yellow eggs and carry them around the house, showing everyone for comparison. They think I'm crazy. Maybe I am.

I buy my eggs right now from a friend of mine. She was charging a $1.00 a dozen but I convinced her she shouldn't sell her eggs for any less than $2.00 a dozen. Her husband and I told her the brown eggs in the grocery store runs from $4- $5 per dozen. My friend only has brown egg layers. I am looking forward to when mine starts laying. My neighbor wanted to buy eggs when mine starts laying but she thinks $2 a dozen is a rip off so she can go to the store and pay $1.78 then. My local store also sells white eggs for $10/5 dozen so guess what? That is $2 per dozen that way.

I would choose the eggs on the left by the way.

Quote:
I am not in the grocery store distribution business so I do not know for sure..... I did work at an egg packing plant as a kid though if that counts...
gig.gif

I am going to assume it has to do with the amount of times the eggs change hands, and the distances the eggs travel... Plant to plant, distribution center to distribution center, from one end of the country to the other... That all adds up, before the eggs even get to sit on an overstocked store shelf.

Also they go by packed on date not the date the egg was laid. They figure that is OK because the eggs are graded at packaging and if it is an old egg it will not grade A...

It is my understanding in places like France and other European countries where they hold food in high regard. They do not even refrigerate the eggs. (Unwashed eggs are fine out of the fridge..Hence the reason they do not "rot" when the are being hatched..)
However, in those European countries, people go to the small local shop every few days to get fresh produce.. So it works for them and they get really fresh eggs from a store.!

ON

Quote:
Egg shell color has little to do with what is inside. These days it is only about aesthetics! They big producers have figured it out and know they can charge more for a brown egg because of that misconception. Before sex link chickens a brown egg would represent a heritage breed or an egg from a small producer. Hence the perception of a brown egg being "better" than a white one..... Know days that is not the case. A white egg from a Hamburg chicken for example would only come from a small producer and is definitely a heritage breed..
wink.png

On pricing with your neighbor... I would suggest doing Dingleberry's test crack her store egg on a plate next to yours... Tell them See look! For you the price is $3...
tongue2.gif

ON

Back
Top Bottom