Which Rooster

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I would like to get a rooster for my flock to help protect it. Which of these breeds would be best to protect the flock and is not usually aggressive. I'm thinking about Langshan, Jersey Giant, and Delaware. Thanks.

Let me first say a good rooster will only slow most predator down and will not stop the predator... Once the rooster is dead then the predator will be off to your hens.. A good rooster might detour a cat or a small dog but that is about it.
* ( a non-aggressive will do nothing but out run your hens ) *

What you need is 4 good things;
1 - A good pen,
2 - A good fence,
3 - A good dog,
4 - A good gun (with shells)

Chris

Last edited:
I didn't expect it to kill predators I'm not that stupid. All I want is one that will look out for hawks and sound an alarm so the girls will know about it. I HAVE a good pen, coop and Dogs. My girls free range in my yard (about an acre) all day. The Dogs don't watch the skies or see Hawks as a danger. They do take care of the other predators.

I have a black australorp roo, and so far so good. He is a good rooster, kind and gentle to the ladies, but keeps his eyes on the skies for hawks, and sounds the alarm when he needs too. he is still pretty young, and my lead hen helps keep things in order too. She is his senior, and she sometimes steps on his toes so to speak, but he doesnt mind. And he is human-friendly, hand raised and fairly nice. But hes been informed that I am THE ALPHA not him. He is not willing to walk up to me and he wont eat if I am looking - this is good! I can pick him up if I want and he does not fuss, although he is not necessarily a fan-this is also good. Heres a link to a thread that I think you should read. its a similar question, and explains the role of the roo. Protection is not their main gig. Remember, the rooster usually sees the threat before the hens, and takes off running. When he goes running, they do too. He's not gonna stick around to fight a bear or a coyote or usually even a dog or coon (and die) but he will get the girls moving and alert them to all kinds of things including food, treats, and predators while theyre out free ranging. Also heres a link to rooster behavior and flock structure.
http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html - rooster sanity

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=314174&p=1 - thread about rooster breeds/good roosters to have

I personally believe, after having "bad" roosters and FINALLY getting a good one (thanks to BYC and especially that rooster sanity info) there are some breeds that are known to be docile as opposed to others. And while this no doubt factors into their ultimate behavior, I think the breeds reputation is 25% of their attitude. We'll give 5% to genetics (were his parents "nice?") and the other 70% is all YOU. Handle your roosters several times a day as chicks, and keep handling them as adults. Let them know you are the boss and you can have your way with him, but you wont hurt him or the girls, and NEVER back down to a roo, because if you give him an inch, he will take a mile, and maybe your eye too. remember, he is not your friend, he is not your pet, he is not in love with you. his goal in life is to be the alpha roo, be dominant, and get all the attn and lovin from the ladies. He doesnt want to share. So you gotta instill in him from day 1 YOU are boss, YOU are dominant, and YOU win, 100% of the time. I am not suggesting you hurt him, beat him, or injure him. I am suggesting the wonders a gentle boot in the butt or a swat from a straw broom can be if he ever decided to challenge your authority (and he likely will)

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy having a rooster in the flock. I like to watch him talk to his girls, take them out to dinner, and coax them to bed. Its amusing to me. Chickens have a social structure, and if youre observant, you will see it. They argue, they share, they sometimes fight, they squabble over who gets to sleep where, and who gets to eat first, they look out for each other and if one runs, they all run, whether its in fear of a predator or excitement over a bunch of strawberry tops. Having a rooster is cool, but only if youre willing to put some work into him, or having a rooster can be hell. especially if hes mean and chases you

Quote:
I didn't expect it to kill predators I'm not that stupid.

I will blow this off as you miss wording what you had / wanted to say because I took that as you calling me stupid...

Does your dog/s stay out with your birds all the time? If not then that is like not having a dog because most predator will hit you birds and night or just at dusk.

You can bet if I have a problem with a wild dog, coyote, coon etc. I will be out there to end the problem.. Once a predator finds a free meal it will be back. ( you can bet on that. )
I believe you will find a lot of people on this site will tell you the same thing I gust told you just go to the Predators and Pests part of this site and ask your question there.
Now I'm not telling you to kill a shoot a Hawk or a Eagle but if a coyote or a coon start taking out your flock you better take them out or you will soon lose your flock..

Chris​

Last edited:
It was a good question, and Chris gave you what he thought was a good answer....but it just wasnt the answer to the question you asked. Just chalk it up to overzelousness!! lol The problem with recommending a breed as I see it, is roosters within the same breed can have such different personalities! I would say if you could observe a rooster for a while to see it exhibit the qualities you are after it would be your best bet! also keep in mind you probably dont want to get a rooster that will get much bigger than your hens or they may be to rough when treading! hope this helps.
smile.png

I have had excellent experiences with the Langshans. (Of course!
big_smile.png
)

The Langshans I have will attack ANYTHING that touches one of their females. Including myself. I can walk in, touch them, etc. but if they make the "squawk of death" you better watch out. I always catch the male before the females. The males won't attack unless the hen is in danger. The males continuously scan the sky and watch for any danger on the ground. They are, apparently, too large for a predator to want, but the poor females are the size of perfection for food. I have lost several females, but no males that are over a year old. They will not be able to protect from larger animals but will warn in any instance.

This is just my experience with them, others may have had different experiences of the Langshan males.

Jersey Giants on the other hand...are big scaredy cats in my experience. Run faster than the females.

I have never had Delawares, so cannot give an opinion on them.

i think the balck giants are pretty good.i tend to stay away from white free ranging birds(dellie).

also,if you just want an alarm and not a breeder,you may try a bantam OEGB rooster.very alert and protective(cute also)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom